How do you Store Large Quantities of Roasted Beans and Ground Coffee?

gmarch23

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If I had say 150-200 pounds of roasted coffee beans

1) Where is the best place to store roasted beans without having to put them into small containers? Can I simply put them in a large Garbage Bin for example? (new one obviously) or are there special large bins made for this?

2) Same question but for coffee grounds. I understand coffee grounds need to degass for 48 hours so I'm Not sure if there are large specialty bins available for this. If so could you please direct me where to buy these

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
1) Large Rubbermaid bin or similar will suffice. Obviously use within 2 weeks or less.

2) WTF? Whole bean only. Coffee should never be ground until prior to brewing. Once ground, it's immediately losing flavor and aromatics. For those of you who sell ground coffee for any reason, shame on you. There are no justifiable excuses.

I wrote about the "Why" and how it benefits you HERE.

Sidram

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
1)
2) WTF? Whole bean only. Coffee should never be ground until prior to brewing. Once ground, it's immediately losing flavor and aromatics. For those of you who sell ground coffee for any reason, shame on you.

X2

All coffee needs to degas not just ground coffee. Storing that much coffee not bagged means that your handling it an additional time. More labor = less profit. Also if your roasting more coffee than your demand then why not roast as needed for freshness. Most roasters are 10 - 15 kilo even a 60 kilo you can roast smaller batches on.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If I had say 150-200 pounds of roasted coffee beans

1) Where is the best place to store roasted beans without having to put them into small containers? Can I simply put them in a large Garbage Bin for example? (new one obviously) or are there special large bins made for this?

2) Same question but for coffee grounds. I understand coffee grounds need to degass for 48 hours so I'm Not sure if there are large specialty bins available for this. If so could you please direct me where to buy these

How long do you need to store them? That would be my first question. It is not very advisable to store large quantity of roasted or ground coffee for long period time but typically if would be better it you can find the cool, breezy and dry place with large container would work the best. As other have said above, you would lose flavor of coffee immediately after the ground.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Hi Gmarch23,

Seems like you've gotten good advice on the whole beans. Get them bagged up soon but certainly don't let them sit for more than 10-14 days.

As to the ground coffee you shouldn't grind anything before selling it UNLESS if you are like me, and sell to retailers, then it is understandable that you have to grind the coffee. For us we roast our beans. Let them rest at least 2-3 days (if we have the time), grind and bag. We put the ground coffee into bags with degassing valves.

There are two schools of thought -- aren't there at least two schools of though on everything!! :lol::-D -- on bags with degassing valves. If you don't have a way to let the internal pressure out of the bag as the coffee continues to degass it blows up like a balloon. If you've got a weak seal on the bag the pressure can pop that open. The other side of the coin is that you'll lose aroma and flavour as the gas escapes through the degassing valve. So if I was running a coffee shop where I sold coffee I wouldn't use a valve on the premise that the folks are buying the coffee and then going home to start consuming the coffee straight away. But if I'm putting bags on a retailer's shelf where they may sit for some time then I want the valve.

If you don't bag-up the ground coffee right away then you've got a fast diminishing asset, a diminishing asset that could tarnish your reputation for quality and freshness and drive customers into your competitor's arms. So act fast!