Roasting on a charcoal grill

rwhinton

Sep 21, 2013
Texas Hill Country
Visit site
I'm tempted to try it since my wife will never forgive me if I even think about roasting in her kitchen.
There are two ways I can go:
1. Use a basket mounted on a rotisserie setup with charcoal banked on either side. The grill temperature typically runs 400 degrees to 450 degrees.
2. Break out the 14-inch carbon-steel wok and basically stir-fry the beans over hot charcoal.
Is one method better than the other? (I think the rotisserie would be less labor intensive.)
Should I put the cover on the grill if I go with the rotisserie setup?
At that 400-450 heat range, does anyone have a guess how long to first crack? Second crack?
This beginner will appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are not worried about batch size the hot air popper method is the cheapest and easiest to get into.

I've never roasted over charcoal but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Roasting can be done even with your stove or popcorn popper. Since you try your own idea, I think there is no reason that it can’t be done. Though there are proper roasters out there in the market, it is also good that you can make your own version as long as it works.

Upon reaching 340-400 degrees internal bean temperature, this will be the first crack but it depends on the roaster if it is not adding enough heat to the process that will stall the roast at this point.

redlandroaster

Dec 5, 2013
Redland, Oregon
Visit site
I do my daily roasts on a DIY stainless steel drum roaster similar to the FZ-RR-700. I roast 1/2 pound batches for the wife and I. It is so much easier than breaking out my 1 kilo Torrefattore which takes 30 minutes in summer and longer in winter to pre heat. I put the roaster over a Coleman 10,000 BTU camp stove and roast in 13/15 minutes. With setup and cleanup time added I am done in
30 minutes. I designed it last year and have roasted 200 batches so far.
DSC03183.JPG

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I do my daily roasts on a DIY stainless steel drum roaster similar to the FZ-RR-700. I roast 1/2 pound batches for the wife and I. It is so much easier than breaking out my 1 kilo Torrefattore which takes 30 minutes in summer and longer in winter to pre heat. I put the roaster over a Coleman 10,000 BTU camp stove and roast in 13/15 minutes. With setup and cleanup time added I am done in
30 minutes. I designed it last year and have roasted 200 batches so far.
View attachment 1430

That's a nice and simple setup. How do you make that thing spin? I don't see a hand crank, rotor, or anything... And what are the dimensions of your drum?