Probat Cooling Tray Disassembly Help

BongoJavaRoastingCo

Oct 10, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
We have a 1957 Probat UO22. The arms of the cooling tray are very wobbly and they feel like a wheel with a broken bearing. It is causing the arms to move unevenly across the cooling tray surface. We have tried to disassemble the arm from the tray but we cannot tell how in the world it is connected. This is the roaster we have been using for over a decade and have managed to maintain it very well, however, we have never had this issue before so have never taken apart the cooling tray. The arms are attached to the central hub via bolts on the underside of the hub, but it is the hub itself that is wobbling around. On the underside of of the cooling tray, all the metal gearing is in tip top shape. So I am assuming the problem lies within the hub itself and/or it's attachment point to the spinning gear. But how oh how do I remove the hub from the gear piece under the cooling tray? Can anybody help?

Cooling Hub.JPG

Thanks,
Chris
Bongo Java Roasting Co.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Do you have any video of this? I had a probat years ago and had to replace the cooling screen. That was not a fun job. can you get under the cooling screen? Is there any access points on the side of the cooling bin? There has to be a way to get under that screen from below or on the sides....how else were they able to bolt down the hub. How do you know your bearings are good? What if you take the top part off...is there bolts under that that attach it below the screen? Sorry just shooting out some trouble shooting questions...

Scareyourpassenger

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Seems like it could be as simple as isolating the play. Start with making sure the tray sits flat. Check the arms, shaft and then the motor.

You have an Allen bolt that looks to connect the assembly to the shaft. If you unto that, it seems like the assembly might lift off the shaft.