New to business and need help on make/model of this antique machine

javahut

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Recently closed on a deal that will include a Coffee Kisok in our local civic center. This is the machine that came with it purchase. I don't know much about it and trying to find out the worth of the machine and if its recommended to keep it or try to find a seller and upgrade to a newer model. The former owner has another machine he would be willing to sell, but if i dont need to, why spend the money. I am very new to this business and would love any help on the machine and the possible worth/potential.

IMG_6440.JPGIMG_6447.JPGIMG_6449.JPGIMG_6450.JPGIMG_6451.JPG

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Looks like an old Gaggia machine...the exact same one I worked on at my first barista job. Side panels and top are just for show and a pain in the butt to keep polished. External pump is there..right down to the red buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same one. What year is it? The plate on the front lower part of the machine. What does it say? If it says ABC I am going to laugh.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I have to agree with topher ond both posts!
Looks to be a Gaggia Evolution series, check this link, red buttons'group heads,and external pump.
Gaggia E90 Evolution Commercial Grade Espresso Machine 2 Groups 693042161008 | eBay
Your's has all the classic cafe appearance features, brass looks pretty tarnished though, hopefully cleanable.
If you have heavy volume in the cafe, you may want to upgrade to a new or completely
refurbashed machine. Just for dependability.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I think the one I worked on was built in 1978. I used it starting in 89. I must say we didn't have a lot of issues with it...but that was a loooooonnnng time ago.

javahut

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
you need to throw that Maxwell house and foldgers coffee out ;)

The Maxwell containers were used in the past to hold extra water outside of the 5 gallon jugs. We're not serving Maxwell house, but i have since added a direct water line. We had a small show where we sold about 50 total cups. The biggest issue was the wait the customer had on the specialty coffee drinks, while the regular coffee was easy to serve and a lot faster I did notice people not 100% ready to wait on a Latte or Cappuccino being made somewhat one at a time.

javahut

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
This is two group machine, if your barista is experienced, you should be able to pull out about 4 cups of espresso base coffee in about 5 mins

Our main attraction at our civic center arena is the hockey games. The problem is that we have 2, 15 min intermissions that flood us with business. Making 4 cups of espresso in 5 mins, means we could only serve 12-15 people. I was wondering if we could make the espresso right before the period ends, but is there a way to keep it hot enough that it doesnt lose its quality.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If you are not worried about the quality of the drink. (most of the people are not) you can give them the choice of pre-made or just pulled. Some might wait for the quality espresso base drinks or you can serve the pre-made espresso drinks. The quality of the drinks won't be there.

javahut

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If you are not worried about the quality of the drink. (most of the people are not) you can give them the choice of pre-made or just pulled. Some might wait for the quality espresso base drinks or you can serve the pre-made espresso drinks. The quality of the drinks won't be there.

Based on last years numbers, there is anywhere from 25-40 people who are in line per intermission. It could be hot coco, regular coffee or specialty coffee. I want to find a way to offer high quality as well as help everyone within a reasonable amount of time. As part of the same we are getting a 'newer' machine, which I have only seen once time and the name on it was ECM Sorrento. It's used and missing a button i noticed but they included it into the sale price. It looks very similar to this one i found online, but is all black.

MIC2DS.jpg

I am thinking of replacing the older unit and installing this one to hopefully speed up the process and increase longevity.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
The ECM is a very good machine. The Michelangelo series excels in the industry. I would stress again to make sure it is serviced, and set up a water softener
and good filter system. Do you serve the regular coffee and hot chocolate via large thermal dispensers? You could if possible have 2 or three lines at intermissions.
One designated for specialty drinks.

javahut

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The ECM is a very good machine. The Michelangelo series excels in the industry. I would stress again to make sure it is serviced, and set up a water softener
and good filter system. Do you serve the regular coffee and hot chocolate via large thermal dispensers? You could if possible have 2 or three lines at intermissions.
One designated for specialty drinks.

The regular coffee is serverd from the Bunn single brewer with portable server; this way i can have 6 pots of coffee at all times. We server 16 and 20oz size drinks (i am thinking the 20oz might be to much for a single purchase)

bunn-single-brewer-with-portable-server-120-240v-bunn-23050-0011.jpg

The Hot Coco is made and then put into a Cambro server currently. I would eventually like to add brewed ice tea and other items that are fresh. The arena only offers soda and a 8 dollar Dasani bottle water and i know i would please a lot more customers with an affordable non carbonated option like tea, lemonade, fruit punch, etc.
Coffee-Beige-2-5-Gal-Insulated-Beverage-Container-image.jpg