Looking for a mentor of sorts to et started roasting

jlbt

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
First off let me say that I live in a secluded area in Arkansas, I'm many hours from any of the three roasting companies in the state. Therefore I am trying to learn roasting in a bit of a different way than most. I have consumed most of the information I have been able to find online, and I'm in the process of making a drum roaster out of a BBQ grill.
I'm very excited to learn roasting and I learn very well by having input from others. I was hoping someone, specifically someone with Grill roasters, would be willing to exchange emails and possibly phone numbers with me. Just so I can ask specific questions and gain some incite on the process that you can really only learn from the input of another person.
I'm not sure of this is the right place for this post but if anyone would be willing to, in a sense, mentor me I would greatly appreciate it.

Love the forums! Been lurking for quite some time and I have learned so much.

Thanks everyone!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "jlbt"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

We have a lot of members who roast coffee, both professionally and as a hobby. This Forum is a great place to ask questions, and many people use the Forum's interaction to develop relationships with other members outside of the Forum.

Besides posting and participating on the Forum, we also have a Private Message feature which you may find useful as you get to know people here. It will be helpful when you want to share phone numbers and personal E-mail addresses.

Rose

jlbt

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks rose! I appreciate that! And I do plan to take full advantage of the forum! I just was hoping to have someone to just ask small things about without having to post a new thread every time!

Thanks for the input!

jlbt

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
None taken! And I understand what your saying, but I am not trying to learn grill roasting specifically, I just want to learn everything I can about roasting. I just mentioned the grill roasting as that will be what I am starting larger scale batches on. I will be moving to a more traditional roaster very soon. If this is not the place to post this then I will gladly remove it! I just was just looking for someone to communicate with about small things on my way to learning, as I have no one close to me that I can learn from.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hang in there! It may take a while for you to get a response.

Most of the coffee roasters on this Forum are very busy people, and they visit the Forum when they have time.

In the mean time, feel free to start new threads in the coffee roasting area and ask specific questions. As people respond, they'll get a sense that you're serious and not just another new member who visits the forum for a short time and then disappears.

It's a rare individual who would want to invest time and effort "mentoring" a stranger. (Especially someone who only has 3 posts so far)

Ask questions, and participate in the forum. Hang around a while. Let people get to know you. Use your real first name!

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I can help you.
I have my own grill roaster, whirley pop roaster lol. And drum roaster as well.
This has been my hobby for past few years and I am in process of making another grill drum roaster for good friend of mine.

You can email me but if you have any questions, post up on here or message me here on Coffee Forum, I would be glad to help you out.