Direct Trade Group Buy From Costa Rica.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Would anybody be interested in a Direct Trade group buy from the Costa Rican Tarrazu region? This would be for 2014 crop, The farmer begins his harvest on the 9th of Nov and shipment would be very late April, early March to Miami.

Most of his crop stays in country but he exports limited amounts to the US. He sent me a sample of this years crop and it is a really good coffee, very balanced. I can post my cupping notes if anyone is curious.

If you are serious about participating I can put you in touch with him to get samples.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd be curious to know more about the venture.

Any idea on price yet?

Where will it be sent to?

I'm guessing shipping costs on a couple sacks of beans would take most of the fun out of the deal

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Price is $4.25 per lb. Sacks are 150lbs. Payments are split into 3 installments. $100 per sack now to secure. $100 after the first of the year. The balance is due immediately before shipment in early March. Samples will be sent to each participant before shipment to the US to ensure quality. Coffee is shipped in Grain Pro bags. All fees, taxes, import costs are included in the per lb. price.

This price is his price. I am not marking this up at all. He will be handling the whole process. Being a Direct Trade deal all of the money is going to this farm and it's workers.

He sent me an agreement that details the whole process if anybody wants to look it over before committing.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
That's why I thought I would offer up a group buy on this coffee. Anybody can order any amount they want as long as the final tally equals out to a full sack.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
sounds pretty interesting to me. am i understanding this right, that i can order a couple of bags (in california) and pay 4.25 a pound all said and done to my door? if so, i'd be super interested. i'm new to this, and i've been buying through a big importer in oakland paying around 3.50-4.25/lb for their stuff. if i could try a sample and it's on par with what i'm doing, i'd probably be up for a couple sacks, depending on a little more info about the grower.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately that price only includes shipping to the Miami port with 2 free days of storage. Freight to Oakland on 2 sacks would add anywhere from .33 to .50 per pound assuming a $200 to $300 freight quote which is pretty realistic. This may even be a little high. I'm basing my quote on a 4 x 4 pallet at 400lbs.

Freight from Miami to New York based on a single sack is around $140 so that will add roughly $.10 per pound for distribution from my location. Adding extra sacks doesn't increase freight costs too much probably around $15 - $20 per sack.

Redswing, PM me with an email address and I can send you his contact info and the agreement he sent me. He will be more than happy to send out samples to anyone who is interested.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Freight from Miami to New York based on a single sack is around $140 so that will add roughly $.10 per pound for distribution from my location. Adding extra sacks doesn't increase freight costs too much probably around $15 - $20 per sack.

I'm guessing the initial delivery charge of $140 will increase the price per pound by roughly $1.00, rather than the 10 cents mentioned above. That puts the cost at around $5.25 before delivery to roaster. I'm guessing that $6.25 will be roughly the final price to any roaster who purchases at least a sack of beans.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Or maybe the other way around :) Buzz, I am in MD, maybe I could add on to your shipment and come pick it up. Don't know if there is any advantage to that...BTW my roasting drum is almost done!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I like the idea of buying thing together. yes, it might not be so much cheaper at first but if we can get enough people together and I am actually talking to few of my friends, they might even get in on this as well.

We have to have a starting point for everything and this could be something special at the end. I am just glad BR is taking charge of the things.