Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    To reply to all, yes, I have a home roaster. I currently roast on a Behmor.

Buzz, I don't know why they are on the fence. I have met the guy several times and I told him I would roast for free just to get experience. He knows I have a day job so I wouldn't be getting into this for a while. He asked me what I was looking to get from him when I was talking with him and I said that in a perfect world I would be an apprentice. He said he was thinking about possible bringing one on in a few months and said it wouldn't pay well (at which time I said money isn't an issue).

John P., I am pretty sure you're somewhat unique in your ability to drop $5K on a roaster and not even be sure that you would enjoy it...I can only imagine that roasting on an large-scale, gas roaster is MUCH different than an electric roaster.

For those of you who have used a home-built drum roaster on a grill and the high-end gas roasters, are they similar?

I am currently an engineer and would eventually, in ~20 - 30 years, like to retire and open a coffee shop where I roast the beans. At any rate, I just think it would be nice to get experience on a gas roaster without paying $$$ for a class or owning the roaster.

In the past few years there are now more options of small drum roasters you can set up at home. From something small (apartment size) like the Quest M3 150-250g batches with easily manageable smoke output to slightly larger ones 500-1000g. These can be now had for $1300. to 3500. These roasters roast pretty much the same as larger commercial roasters. This will allow you to experiment and obtain experience roasting and cupping/tasting results. Home-Barista forum has a very active home/amateur roasting section that can help guide you along.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrin View Post
    John P., I am pretty sure you're somewhat unique in your ability to drop $5K on a roaster and not even be sure that you would enjoy it...I can only imagine that roasting on an large-scale, gas roaster is MUCH different than an electric roaster.
    We dropped $25,000 on a roaster before I had any roasting experience.

As I explained in other threads, we thought we had an experienced roaster lined up to be a business partner but continued on with the plan even after that relationship ended. (Before we had opened the shop.)

Super Moderator
    Hi eldub,

I dread to think of what would have happened if you had gone through with starting your business with your roasting business partner, and then one day have her suddenly decide to pull herself out of the business. Things happen for a reason, and it's good it happened right from the start, and it's also good you hung in there and became a pro at roasting coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    We dropped $25,000 on a roaster before I had any roasting experience.

As I explained in other threads, we thought we had an experienced roaster lined up to be a business partner but continued on with the plan even after that relationship ended. (Before we had opened the shop.)

Lol I dread to think what would have happened if she had decided to stick with the plan and be our roaster, period. While she is a friend of my wife, I can hardly stand to be in the same room with her, let alone imagine having to work with her on a daily basis.

I think we dodged a bullet with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrin View Post
    To reply to all, yes, I have a home roaster. I currently roast on a Behmor.

Buzz, I don't know why they are on the fence. I have met the guy several times and I told him I would roast for free just to get experience. He knows I have a day job so I wouldn't be getting into this for a while. He asked me what I was looking to get from him when I was talking with him and I said that in a perfect world I would be an apprentice. He said he was thinking about possible bringing one on in a few months and said it wouldn't pay well (at which time I said money isn't an issue).

For those of you who have used a home-built drum roaster on a grill and the high-end gas roasters, are they similar?

I am currently an engineer and would eventually, in ~20 - 30 years, like to retire and open a coffee shop where I roast the beans. At any rate, I just think it would be nice to get experience on a gas roaster without paying $$$ for a class or owning the roaster.
    I apprenticed on a Diedrich ir12, then started my own business with a bbq drum, on which I roasted a metric shit load over 8 years. A month ago I took receipt of a san Franciscan roaster. I highly recommend going the bbq route. It's cheap, it'll closely replicate the quality of a real roaster, and it'll teach you a lot about roasting.

Still laughing at Eldub's last post!!! Sounds like you dodged a missile instead!

We started roasting on the stove top in a cast iron pan. Then bought a 10kg drum roaster and never looked back. I guess buying the drum roaster was like Cortez burning his ships. We had to make it work at that point. No safety net tends to give you a lot of focus.

If your goal is 20+ years away then save up your pennies and once you've got $2K or so keep your eye out for a 1-2kg gas roaster. They'll turn up from time to time and you can jump on it. Might need some work but every roaster needs maintenance and repair at some point so it'll be a good learning experience.
    Last edited by expat; 11-13-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links