Commercial roasters, how did you get roasting experience?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I ask this because I enjoy roasting and would one day like to roast for a relatively small roaster (no larger than Blue Bottle or Intelligentsia for sure) that cares about the quality of their product. My main question is how do you get experience on a large, gas powered machine without buying one? I have indicated to a local roaster that I will apprentice for free as the experience is more valuable than money and they are wavering back and forth about it. Am I forced to take a class to gain experience on one if I can't get a roaster to take me on?

How did you go about gaining that first experience?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "cestrin"

Wow! It's amazing that you posted that message today.

Last night I read through a lot of posts about roasting coffee and I was wondering the same thing... such as How do people start roasting? Do they use a small home roaster first and learn the in's and out's that way? Are they self taught? Do they take roasting classes? Can they apprentice without any experience at all? Is there a special talent (scientific, culinary, mathematical) that's necessary in order to be successful?

Rose

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The key to being successful at anything you do is passion.

Somebody asked me once "is there an art to roasting coffee or is it something that can be taught?"

My reply was both. Anyone can learn the basics of the craft but it is the passion and love for your craft that elevates it to an art. Roasting coffee is easy, roasting great coffee is an art and can only come with years of experience and passion for what you do.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
To answer your question, you need to take classes to learn how to roast on large size commercial roaster or you can purchase one and you will be taught by manufacture representative.

This is the problem with learning from current roasters.

1. They don't just sit around when they roast. They are busy and to take on someone to teach them or show them, it takes time and effort they do not have.
2. What type of incentives do they have to teach you. Nothing.
3. You could be their direct competition. (even if you are not going to open a shop) So they feel they are growing their competition.
4. Some of the roasting experience only comes from years of roasting and why would they ever want to share that with anyone.

If you want to learn, I think everyone should pay to learn. I am not saying there will not be any roaster who will show your the rope but I doubt you will be able to find one easily.

Good LUck

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I would rather teach someone to roast who has to travel to our shop from out of state rather than a local person who could become competition, unless I'm looking for a helper in the shop.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Rose: Culinary skills as well as math aptitude, a discerning palate and curiosity all benefit a roaster, imo.

I'm a little OCD with numbers and sitting next to the roaster calculating time/temp progression of the roasting process suits me well.

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I apprenticed with a master roaster here in LA, an old school guy of 25years, very well known. He trained at least 6 Los Angeles roasters, from rocky roasters to Ojai Valley roasting company, to me. I was with him part time for two years on a Diedrich ir12.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As Peter may be alluding to, if you are a home roaster, that... and a lot of time spent developing a relationship is a good way to get your foot in the door -- provided you have a serious interest in working as an employee. If you are not currently home roasting, that would indicate you have no desire to roast and therefore are not good hire nor a good investment as a roaster.

If you are interested in roasting, you can spend the small amount of money it is to get your feet wet at a roasting camp or class by one of the roaster manufacturers. If you are not willing to spend a couple or three thousand in time and money then you really have no commitment toward learning the craft. It's really that simple.

I learned everything on my own. My first small roaster was about $5K. I saw no purpose to learn on anything smaller. I read a lot, took copious notes, and spent many hundreds of hours and pounds and pounds of beans and lots and lots of tasting to hone my craft. YOU need to spend the time, YOU need to make the investment that is how you will learn, and how you will succeed. If you need someone to hold your hand, you're really not cut out for it. Invest whatever time and money is necessary, and if you follow through with everything it will be well worth it.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
To reply to all, yes, I have a home roaster. I currently roast on a Behmor.

Buzz, I don't know why they are on the fence. I have met the guy several times and I told him I would roast for free just to get experience. He knows I have a day job so I wouldn't be getting into this for a while. He asked me what I was looking to get from him when I was talking with him and I said that in a perfect world I would be an apprentice. He said he was thinking about possible bringing one on in a few months and said it wouldn't pay well (at which time I said money isn't an issue).

John P., I am pretty sure you're somewhat unique in your ability to drop $5K on a roaster and not even be sure that you would enjoy it...I can only imagine that roasting on an large-scale, gas roaster is MUCH different than an electric roaster.

For those of you who have used a home-built drum roaster on a grill and the high-end gas roasters, are they similar?

I am currently an engineer and would eventually, in ~20 - 30 years, like to retire and open a coffee shop where I roast the beans. At any rate, I just think it would be nice to get experience on a gas roaster without paying $$$ for a class or owning the roaster.

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
In the past few years there are now more options of small drum roasters you can set up at home. From something small (apartment size) like the Quest M3 150-250g batches with easily manageable smoke output to slightly larger ones 500-1000g. These can be now had for $1300. to 3500. These roasters roast pretty much the same as larger commercial roasters. This will allow you to experiment and obtain experience roasting and cupping/tasting results. Home-Barista forum has a very active home/amateur roasting section that can help guide you along.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
John P., I am pretty sure you're somewhat unique in your ability to drop $5K on a roaster and not even be sure that you would enjoy it...I can only imagine that roasting on an large-scale, gas roaster is MUCH different than an electric roaster.

We dropped $25,000 on a roaster before I had any roasting experience.

As I explained in other threads, we thought we had an experienced roaster lined up to be a business partner but continued on with the plan even after that relationship ended. (Before we had opened the shop.)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi eldub,

I dread to think of what would have happened if you had gone through with starting your business with your roasting business partner, and then one day have her suddenly decide to pull herself out of the business. Things happen for a reason, and it's good it happened right from the start, and it's also good you hung in there and became a pro at roasting coffee.

We dropped $25,000 on a roaster before I had any roasting experience.

As I explained in other threads, we thought we had an experienced roaster lined up to be a business partner but continued on with the plan even after that relationship ended. (Before we had opened the shop.)

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Lol I dread to think what would have happened if she had decided to stick with the plan and be our roaster, period. While she is a friend of my wife, I can hardly stand to be in the same room with her, let alone imagine having to work with her on a daily basis.

I think we dodged a bullet with that one.