Need Help on Start

eric24

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I know this most likely on here a billion times but...

I'm from Wisconsin and want to start roasting and selling my coffee locally.

Does anyone know what the USDA or FDA requires to be able to sell my coffee?

Any help would be useful.. Thanks in advance!

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The USDA or FDA don't need anything as far as I know. You will need an inspection of your roasting facility by the local health authorities before they will issue you a permit.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, it really varies from state to state and probably county to county as well.

Here, if you are roasting out of your home, it needs to be separate from the room you prepare food for yourself or family. If you are roasting outside or in a building not attached to your house such as a barn or garage it cannot have dirt floors. There are a few other rules for food prep for sale out of your home but they don't really pertain to coffee roasting.

eric24

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm.. I have a wooden shed with a wood floor. Might be a good place to start, I assume I would need a cleaning sink installed.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh, one more thing. All surfaces that come in contact with prepared food must be able to be easily sanitized and dry. For example, stainless steel, no wood.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention in New York in order to be issued a health permit you need to take a class also. These are offered at the local Dept of Health. I'm not sure what the requirement is in Wisconsin.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Coffee Roasting I think does not need FDA approval. However, it depends on local ordinances that require approval from FDA before issuing local business permit. One thing I’m sure that roasting need an approval from the State Department of Public Health and Environment, Air Pollution Control Division because of the air pollutant emissions resulting from coffee roasting operations.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Actually, probably not. "In process" roasted coffee does not have a pleasant smell.

Yup... my neighbors all know when I'm roasting, and until they know what is producing the 'aroma' some of them have asked themselves, "Who is burning that toast?" Don't take that as a commentary on my roasting skills. Hahaha.

bigmug

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I think you need a permit from your local air quality management district. I will open coffee roaster in CA. I've checked so many times. So I need to get a permit from BAAQMD.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Confirmation on aroma! LOL! I live in a very rural area, and before I decided to turn my garage into a roasting room, I approached zoning and complied to
all the requirements. Sent letters to my neighbors, no problems. After about a year a new neighbor moved in behind me, well one winter his plow truck
broke down at the end of his driveway. That is how we were introduced to each other. I spent a while in the cold trying to help him. When he asked
me what I do for a living, I told him about my regular job, and that I was roasting coffee on the side(startup business). He said there was a number of times
he thought he smelled "burnt coffee". I was the culprit. Good news, he has know problem with me roasting. When my wife takes her walks in the summer,
she told me she could smell the coffee almost a mile away. Peter, aroma confirmed. I never get the chance to smell the roasting smoke, because i do not leave
the roaster to go outside at that crucial time during the roast.