motor specs

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
For my bbq roaster, does anyone have a recommendation for the electric motor? I am think it will need to turn at 30-60 rpm and be able to handle 15+ lbs of weight. Also, any ideas for suppliers of such motors would be greatly appreciated. I am going to look at a used grill today. Not real powerful, 42k btu, but it might do the trick.Freeman

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
30-60 would be a good range for the rpm. I've always heard 60rpm is ideal, but nobody ever said why and I think it's just one of those things that gets repeated often enough to become accepted.

You'll want to look at the torque specs of the motor. Even though you may have 15# total between the green coffee and the drum/axle, the motor is spinning that, so it never has to move 15# in a straight line as when something is being lifted off the ground. That said, I don't know what torque spec you should be looking for.

I've purchased from surpluscenter.com, and they tend to have a good selection of motors at good prices.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I got a great idea from another thread on another site, that the motor from an ice cream maker would be pretty ideal for repurpose for a roaster. High torque (mixing ice cream) and 30-50 rpm. I am on the hunt for one of those to try out.

jimfarris

Oct 31, 2013
Montevallo AL
Visit site
Bardo,
We just replaced a 2kg roaster motor with one from Grainger, Dayton (1) 6Z083B, 110v, 63rpm, 1/20hp, and 49 in lbs of torque (approx $300). You might need more torque, but in a roaster everything rests on bearings that make the rotation easier.
God luck,
Jim Farris
Seeds Coffee

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Jim,
Because this is a bbq roaster, it will be a base mounted gearmotor (I think). I see them in the 50 rpm range with 15 inch lbs of torque at the 50 rpm, and then increasing with slower rpms. I need to figure out if that is enough to rotate app. 15 lbs of coffee/drum/rod. I take your point about the bearings etc. What do you think? The difference between the motor I am looking at and yours is significant. 60 bucks for mine, so I would like to get it right. Thanks for your input.

Freeman

jimfarris

Oct 31, 2013
Montevallo AL
Visit site
Freeman,
Ours is a plate mounted gear reduction motor. I would go with the least expensive and upgrade as necessary later. You didn't say if it will be direct drive. Ours has a short laced leather belt and two pulleys. If necessary, we could have adjusted the speed by pulley size, but the rpms of old and new motor were within 6, so we didn't go that route.
Good luck,
Jim