Question on what parts of a roast effect what flavor components in beans

Hi all,

I've only completed two roasts and am totally hooked. While I read a lot of posts on people using data logging and computerized roast profiling, I find myself gravitating to the old fashioned manual control method: sight, sound, and fingers on the buttons (I'm a refugee from the tech industry, and get all the computer-stuff I need from work).

Instead of using the auto mode on my roaster, I've jumped straight in with a profile I read on the roasters web site, this technique attempts to shorten the drying part of the roast, push through to first crack, then draw out the duration between the end of the first and start of the second. Both batches I've done this way have resulted in a bright flavor with tones that remind me of citrus and red wine - I can't believe what I've been missing out on just ordering whatever Peet's was brewing every morning, which now taste too much like roast and too little like coffee to me - there is way more nuance to coffee taste than I ever suspected.

Anyway, on to my question: I totally get that by controlling the temperature, and thus duration of different sections of a roast, you get different outcomes - I assume that is what data-logging and computers help with. But for the uninitiated, how can I find out what all the knobs are that I can turn? For example, why might speeding up drying time result in different flavor? Why does a longer duration between first and second crack result in different flavors? What other sections of the roast are there to tweak?

Suggestions for reference materials, personal opinions, experiences and stories are most welcome!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "wblackburn"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

We have several members on this Forum who roast coffee. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your questions soon.

We've had a lot of discussions recently about roasting coffee. You may find it helpful to explore the Coffee Forum by using the search feature that's at the top right corner of your screen.

What kind of coffee roaster are you using?

Rose

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Generally the faster you roast the more acidic and the longer the more "dull". Right in the middle the coffee is sweet.

For example we roast the same coffee 2 different ways: quicker for drip/filter coffee and slower (to cut the acidity) for espresso. The roast level is the same as we stop both roasts as first crack is slowing down but it's a HUGE difference in the taste even though they are both roasted to the same level (FC+)

The roast flavours chart on wikipedia does a pretty good job explaining how acidity/body/sweetness are related. Coffee roasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its a Hottop KN-8828B-2K -- my first batch was Bolivia Organic roasted to City+ and the second was Guatamala SHB to Full City. I brew it with a pour-over and am super pleased. As a newbie I'm a little scared of dark, but I'm going to try a dark roast this weekend.