Old Quote from Jabez Burns, made me chuckle!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Jabez Burns wrote in 1874:

"It is preposterous to suppose that household roasting will be continued long in any part of this country, if coffee
properly prepared can be had.
'

With such a resurgence of home coffee roasters, I guess coffee preparation in America is very suspect! LOL!

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As you may or may not know at the time in which that quote was written there was no such thing as buying pre-roasted (much less pre-roasted and pre-ground) coffee. Everyone roasted their coffee at home. I would say that only a very small percentage of households consume coffee they roasted themselves and therefore I think the quote still holds true. :)

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Sae, you are 100% accurate. I only chuckled about the resurgence of home roasters in this country. Overall the percentage may be small.
But we would all be amazed if we knew the numbers that home roast in this country and abroad. I have in the last couple of years sold well over
a ton of green coffee to home roasters without even a website. All thru Ebay, and word of mouth. I continually get emails and calls from all over this
country, if I have any extra to sell. My intention in starting a roasting business was to roast coffee and sell. But I see a market for folks who want to buy
10-20lb. increments. Personally, I believe this will continue to grow. It is not a fad. I am not ashamed to be called a "coffee snob". Since I started on
a cast iron skillet, filling the kitchen with smoke, and ending up with great smelling clothes, never mind the chaff all over! Besides, I would think a great
number of roasters started roasting at home for themselves. Maybe they will chime in.
In closing, I am grateful for men like Jabez Burns, and all the early pioneers
in coffee roasting. A coffee toast to all of them!:coffeecup::razz:

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I started on a popcorn popper. Then a second. Then a behmor 1600. Then a 10 lb drum roaster. And tomorrow my 30 lb US Roaster is scheduled to get hooked up.