not happy with my roast outcome

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Let us be clear, I am not looking for specific roasting recipes. But I prefer higher elevation hard beans,
and I am not happy with my results. Suggestion please on what to change.:question:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I think you need a new roaster and a better bean supplier. Either that or you need to 'splain things better.

Last edited:

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Although you are not specific on what made you sad about the resulting roasting recipes, I have some idea if I’m right that there is something wrong with your roasting. If you are using hard beans, you can allow roasting at higher temperature. It might be the roasting process lacks the temperature required. Take note that higher altitude beans are called harder beans because they mature slowly at higher elevation.

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Sorry to have asked the question then not reply. Hope you all a niceThanksgiving for those who celebrate it.
I roasted a Honduran RFA SHG at 350-380-440-422. Same beans at 320-420-435-420.I am happy to give
more detail if you need it. I was not really excited about either coffee outcome.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand what you did.

Did you roast a sample of beans twice to four different levels?

Or was that the bean temp or roaster ambient temps for one batch coming out at 422* and the next at 420*?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I do not understand the temp rises to 440* then to down to 422*. 435* to 420*
I think this may be your problem. Ramping the heat then throttling down.
Or is it your air damper manipulation. I would suggest in MHO to gradual heat roasting
to finish.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree, if that is the case. When we reach a desired temp, the beans come out of the roaster and are cooled as quickly as possible.

Btw, are Honduran beans really that hard, even if shade grown?

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
For the sake of the discussion, let's go with I prefer mature hard bean. My roaster allows me 4 steps, each having four steps. I roasted the same type of coffee bean
two ways for comparison. The 2 sets of four numbers are the difference between each roast at the varied chamber temp.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
One last question…… Do you really expect anyone around here to be able to help you with your roasting based on the little information you have provided up to this point?

We have no idea what you don't like about the results nor how long you roasted the beans in question and I still have no idea how the temps you gave above correspond with the progression of the roasting process.

We also don't know how much experience you have on that roaster or if you have ever managed to roast a batch of beans to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

BillG

Jun 19, 2013
Pennsylvania
Visit site
For the sake of the discussion, let's go with I prefer mature hard bean. My roaster allows me 4 steps, each having four steps. I roasted the same type of coffee bean
two ways for comparison. The 2 sets of four numbers are the difference between each roast at the varied chamber temp.
Hi,

What equipment are you roasting on?

Bill

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
When I taste my fresh roasted coffee, I am not able to taste the tasting notes that are suppose develope when roasted at a medium, or dark roast for example.Two examples
of how I roasted the same beans. The steps each have minutes roasted, chamber temp., drum speed and fan speed. 3-350-50-45. 4-380-52-45. 2-440-57-45. 3-422-57-48.
The second roast is, 3-320-50-45. 6-420-52-45. 2-435-52-45. 3-420-52-45.
Ok, have at it. I know I have so much to learn, that is way I am asking.