Ambex Roasters

Kbeans

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to get some opinions on Ambex roasters from those who have used them.
Are they good and how do they compare to other quality roasters?
Thanks

Kbeans

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Have either of you roasted on any other machines? Did you add on any of the Dynamic auto profiling or logging systems when you bought the roasters?

PerfectDayCoffee

May 28, 2012
New jersey
Visit site
at the roasters guild I tried a lot of different roasters and I took classes using some vintage machines. Watching seasoned professionals using unfamiliar machines and getting both good and bad roasts and each person having a different technique-made me feel that its all about being able to cup - know what tastes good know what to look for and then be able to consistently repeat or upgrade the profile. And my 5k Ambex allows me to do that once I figured out-I love my ambex and can't really imagine how differently other roasters could really be. Profiles seem to move throughout the year so maybe a better insulated machine or thicker drum might help. And also people complain that the airflow is not designed well enough to be part of the profile -that it should only be used with the damper wide open (though I'm finding that not to be true) I imagine I will trade up someday but its a good sized drum roaster with a lot more in common with the best roasters than fluid -bed roasters or convection machines or sample roasters. So yes I am a proud owner of an Ambex roaster. If I wanted to, I could ad a logger by changing out the watlow ($300) and using freeware (typico). If i wanted a whole profiling set up i think a used roaster that comes with one would be cheaper- but if your buying a 2 or 5k and may need to trade up in a few I think this a great machine

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have used many different brands of roasters. I always come back to Ambex. I have used a 2.5 kilo, 5 kilo, 15 kilo, 30 kilo and a 60 kilo. I am currently using the 60. I have had it for about 9 or ten years and have beat the crap out of it over the years. When I first bought it used we were running it 21 hours a day. BRUTAL. We maintain it, keep it clean and greased. Runs like a champ. If you have any specific questions you can email me at [email protected] .

LBBeans

Apr 17, 2012
BC, Canada
Visit site
I bought a 15K almost 2 years ago. It came with profiling/data logging software (ProfilePlus) created for Ambex by Roaster Dynamics. I like the roaster and have had no mechanical issues so far other than a belt splitting. They rate it as a 15kilo due to the drum size I suppose, but it doesn't roast batches larger than 12 kg without have the gas at 100% almost all the way to 1st crack. Larger batches end up with roast times in the 20-30 minute range. The manual states the ideal roast size is 30-85% of the maximum capacity. That's something to consider when picking the size of roaster for your needs. Another thing to think about is the support for the equipment. When I've been able to talk to someone directly at Ambex about the roaster, I've found them to very helpful and knowledgeable but it was extremely difficult to get a hold of anyone. They rarely returned emails or phone calls. I know they were going through a few changes there in the last few years so maybe things have improved recently. I think the quality of the roaster is pretty good, it's a real workhorse and customer feedback on our coffee is great. Keep it clean or watch out for chaff fires, another roaster nearby with an older version of our machine lost two motors due to a fire recently.

It took awhile to work out how to use the software interface correctly on my own. I find that the software will follow the profile quite well under certain conditions: environment temperature within a certain range, batch size within a certain range etc. Outside of those conditions I have to take over from the software or it adds heat when I don't want it to. I will say that the software functioned as an invaluable tool to help me get to know my roaster and develop profiles. When I first started I relied a lot on the software to control the roast but over time I use it less and less. Now I mainly use it for profiling and then roast manually with the profile as a visual guide. I let the computer control the roast for the first few minutes while I do other stuff. It's pretty good as a data logger but I wish it had a function to log samples from the trier.

I've never roasted on anything else other than a Gene Cafe home roaster. PM me if you have any other questions.

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
I've got a YM10 I've been running hard for the last year and love it!! Only issue I've had was a split belt, called Ambex on Friday and they put a new one in the mail that day. I replaced both belts with Kevlar automotive belts myself, but I've never had any problem getting in touch with anybody at Ambex.

Kbeans

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
@islandRoast how many lbs can you roast at one time and how long does it normally take on average? Did you add anything to the roaster from Ambex when you purchased it?

Thanks

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
Kbeans, most of my batches are between 7-10lbs. I have done some 12-15lb batches, just have to make sure my preheat temp is right. The only add-on I got with my YM-10 was the chafe collector and the logging dynamics program for setting up my profiles

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Has anyone replaced the Ambex belt with one of these link belts?
Accu Link Vibration Free Size A 1 2" V Belt $6 Foot | eBay

If so, I was wondering how it works with the pulleys? I was think of purchasing enough to make
my own belt. Still using the original on my 10k, looks in good shape still.

Can't say the belt on my roaster is the exact same thing, but it is a link-belt similar to that and works well. The previous owner (who I know well) put the link-belt on a few years back and it still looks and works fine. It looks like a synthetic leather, like nylon. What's nice, is that they're not only quieter, but easy enough to take a link out if the material stretches. If you have 1/2" pulleys then that eBay belt should work.