breakfast blends

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Hello,

As I am building my roasting skills and experimenting with blending different origins to develop different flavor profiles I've noticed many of the national and local coffee companies have a "Breakfast Blend" coffee that they offer. I'm curious as to if there is a formula, preferred origin(s), makeup that determines this blend? Are caffeine and roast levels factors? etc... or is it just fancy marketing that attracts the customer to purchase because it implies a warm and fuzzy, good feeling coffee to drink when they wake up:)

Just curious...thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Ronc23,

It's amazing that you asked that question. I was wondering the same thing a few days ago.

We have several people on this forum who are coffee roasters. I'm looking forward to reading their responses to your question.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Our breakfast blend is made up of lighter, brighter offerings. (Yirgacheffe and Guatemalan) My reasoning: A person's taste buds are at their best in the morning. The lighter, more delicate characteristics of the yirg beans are easier to detect and appreciate with a fresh palate. Lighter offerings also have a touch more caffeine and are therefore perfect for that morning jumpstart, imo.

dgrueser

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have made a blend previously of different left over beans after roasting. I believe that had a lighter roasted Costa Rican bean and a darker New Guinea Peaberry. (I may have all this wrong because I'm an extra beginner) But I did like the blend. I lean more towards the lighter roast being the base and then the darker roast as a flavor blast. But like I said, I am about as beginner as they come...

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The best breakfast blend coffee uses good and uniform coffee beans.

Roasting is really a factor in the breakfast blend that is why lighter roast is better in the morning because more caffeine is good in the morning.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
We usually roast our Yirgs to around 435* and guats to 445*.

Which of course, doesn't tell anyone anything, since different roasters will read temps differently... where do you end the roast in relation to 1C or 2C?

I'd agree w/ eldub, that most Breakfast Blends will lean toward a lighter roast, but even that is a relative term, since one roaster's light roast will be another roaster's medium. I'd also bet my bottom dollar that roasters who have a "Breakfast Blend" on their list are only listing that because that's what is expected of them, i.e., the low-information customer looks for a breakfast blend, rather than knowing specifically what they want in a coffee, and the roaster thinks they should offer one to accommodate that type of customer.

Personally, I think blending can be an excuse for not sourcing high-end beans that can stand on their own w/o being blended, or a way to hide less expensive beans and increase profit margins.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm working under the assumption that our roaster (and most others) reads temps correctly. I'm pretty sure I take the yirg just into the edge of second crack and not much further with the guat. (I've been listening to loud music for way too many years to lay claim to good hearing.)

As for blending, I agree that it can be a way to hide inferior attributes of cheap beans. However, that's not our reason for creating blends. All of our blends are made from single-origin beans that stand on their own quite nicely. But I blend with purpose. Combining beans that contribute top, middle and bottom notes in the right ratio to bring out the best of the blend in question is an art form, imo.