Does Raw Coffee Bean Freshness Matter?

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
it greatly depends on how the coffee beans were/are stored. green coffee beans should be kept in an airtight container away from heat and light. in those conditions, they should last very long. i get my beans while they are still in the parchment shell, therefore, maintaining more of the integrity of the bean. keep in mind that raw beans will take on odors of anything stored near them. i wouldn't think the bean would loose it's caffeine content.

219.JPG004.JPG
beans in the shell.-------------air-tight container

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm looking to roast my own beans since roasters by me are so expensive. A guy on eBay is selling green beans from mexico, but they are a 2012 harvest. Where's a good place to buy 3 lbs for about $25-30?

Some of that will depend on how quickly you plan on using them, and as namaballe said, how they were stored. If they were stored properly, I wouldn't think twice about beans that age. Plus, 3lbs. shouldn't last you that long, so you probably won't be holding on to them for another whole year.

That said... there are better places than ebay for green coffee, especially at that price, sweetmarias.com and greencoffeebuyingclub.com being among them. Anybody can buy green coffee and put it on ebay for a profit, but you have no way of knowing what the quality is; better to buy from an outfit that has their name on the line.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, why are you worried about your beans to reach 1 to 2 years when you need only 3 lbs.? However, granting that you want to store your raw beans for a longer time, just be sure to keep it in an air tight container and avoid from exposing to heat and light.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I tried yahoo, aol, and finally gmail worked. I'll probably try sweetmarias. I wish I could get from the San Francisco warehouse direct like they do. Its so hard to find a warehouse, but then again, they would probably want a minimum order quantity. I'd like to buy a 50 pound bag and sit on it a few years enjoying roasting for myself or try selling some as well. Its hard to even find low price non transparent coffee bags with valve gas release.

If you do acquire your 50lb.of coffee, I would recommend the GrainPro bags for storage. I spoke to a rep of the company about 5 years ago(Concord,MA),
he assured me that their product would not make bad coffee good, but preserve good coffee for 1 year of storage without the losing the beans natural moisture content.
Here is a link for individual purchase if interested. I think GrainPro, only sells in minimum quantity of 25(could call to confirm though).
GrainPro SuperGrainbag III, 72 X 100 cm, with zipper ? Invalsa Coffee

You could try Coffee Shrub(owned by Sweet Maria's), they might have some for sale.
Coffee Shrub | The Coffee Shrub

Also, I have found Bhodhi Leaf,Bodhi Leaf Coffee TradersPlacentcia,CA, to be a good source of green coffee. They do sell on Ebay. I have purchased some Sumatra, Colombian, and Ethiopian coffee from them that was specialty grade(current crop, good prices).