green storage...rodents?

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I have read the threads on storage of green beans, and the consensus seemed to be that the burlap bags in which the beans are shipped are the best containers in which to store them. I have a clean dry basement, in which to store the beans. They will be at a year round temp of around 65 F and 30-40 % humidity. I don't expect to keep beans for too long, but I am considering purchasing more bags for my first shipment in order to reduce the cost per bag. How are you storing your greens? Are mice an issue? We do get a few field mice in the basement in the winter, but we manage them. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Freeman

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Wow NorthSouth...I have never seen a mouse or rat eat green coffee. When I roasted for a steakhouse in Tampa we stored our coffee in a warehouse next to a cooler where the cheese was stored. Rats were always around the door of the cheese lock up..never bothered the coffee.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Well, we'll see! Most of the little varmints are dried up carcasses now, due to our eradication efforts, but I don't relish the thought of a hyper--active rodent gnawing through my good beans and then dying of a caffeine induced heart attack. Bad for business.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I have yet to have any trouble with mice. The 40gal. storage suggestion is very wise. Surely preventive. I would suppose the rodents would have an interest
in the jute or burlap though for nesting. They got into my old "82" Suburban diesel, I used to plug in the block heater at night, believe it or not they got inside
the hood of the vehicle(I mean the hood itself!), chewed out the insulation and nested on a warm engine block!:cry:

Yosemite_Sam_by_chaosengine77.jpg Take that you varmints!