Green to roasted weight

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Sorry to keep pestering you all with newbie questions, but the rubber is meeting the road here. What is the generally accepted ratio of green to roasted weight of beans?

Thanks,
Freeman

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i don't know what is generally accepted, but i loose between 15-20% of weight. a lighter roast will have the least weight loss, and darker roasts, more weight loss.
btw, the more moisture a green bean has to begin with, the more difference in weight will result.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
A true French roast will have 25% loss. Most of my roasts are full city to full city+, as stated above, 18-20% loss is very accurate.
So if you want 8lbs. French Roast, you will need 11lb. green. I know you could do the math, but is not this a sad loss?:cry:

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
From our perspective it depends on the bean. Our Ethiopians we're roasting 15%, 16%, 17% weight loss and we're dropping before 2nd crack. The Sumatra on the other hand goes from 19% to close to 22% depending on what The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress is trying to get out of the bean. Our Colombian is more along the lines of the Ethiopians. But if you're just looking for a general number to plug in to figure out how much to roast I'd use 20%.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Expat! Haven't heard your voice on here recently. Good to hear it again. I remember you've mentioned roasted weight loss as a major piece of your roasting approach.

I've paid much closer attention to weight loss as I try to roast more consistently. But I wonder how much it actually tells you about the resulting flavor of the roast. For example, say you cup a slower 20 min roast against a faster 8 min roast, each with the same weight loss. I'm assuming you only can read so much into weight lost?

I guess I ask this from the confused perspective of a novice roaster. Confused in part by the different schools of thought out there. Like what applying different amounts of heat and airflow at different stages in the roast can do to the flavor in the cup. How much nuance is there really? I never am quite sure if highly acclaimed roasters are in part smoke and mirrors or else some kind of elite club that you have to be really talented to join the ranks of.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I am sure there are those who boast to an "elite club". But personally, I will never pay the club dues. In every facet of life, there are experts and then again there
are self proclaimed experts. You know, "legends in their own mind"! So please do not feel intimidated by any on this forum in posting a question or comment.
If you upset someone unwittingly,"this too will pass". One of my pet peeves in life are people with thin skin.
There are great questions, comments, and quick responses in the coffee forum for the most part. IMHO, weight loss is not a factor I use in a good roast.
Cupping is the measure!!! What is in the cup.
There are many who find good results at different time/temps. So experiment, roast more,cup,note your findings, save the best profile for the next batch.
And, by the way, enjoy the work!:razz:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
For roasters trying to look at overhead, profit margins, future expenses, I can see where moisture loss is something they want to know about.

For me, moisture loss isn't that important, and I don't see it as something to pay attention to when it comes to how a coffee will taste; think about it - by the time you can weigh it, the coffee's already out of the roaster, so you can't adjust any roast parameters then. As JJJ says, cupping is the measure, and it's what's in the cup that counts. So you cup it, and you either like it or don't. Then you either keep that profile, or try something new to improve the outcome. Whatever you decide will be a good profile change to favorably impact the cup flavors, it most likely will not be aimed are changing the amount of moisture loss - that may be an indirect result, but I don't think that's a parameter of the profile to focus on.

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
This is great dialogue....I did have a question on when you should cup your samples. Is there a typical period (24 hours) one should wait to get the full flavor?

thanks!