Newbie home roaster

pINO

Jan 2, 2014
Jakarta
Visit site
Hi guys, Happy New Year!

I'm a newbie here. I've started to roast my own coffee in my kitchen since last year and can't stop until now. I found that I prefer to roast in small fire (yeah, i use my wife's gas stove & pan ;)) and it takes approx 1 hour to get full city roast+ of 100 gr bean. I enjoy it with traditional (mud style) brewing.
bean.jpghome roasting.jpgMill Grinder.jpgcoffee.jpg
Is it too long? I tried to shortening the time with bigger fire but i lost the exotic character of the bean. Is it true that long roasting produce coffee which is not good for your health?

pINO

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
it took you one hour to roast one batch? If so then that seems to be WAY too long. You'll want to have your roast done in about 20 minutes but preferably more like in the 15 minute range. A roast that went on for 1 hour will have a lot of the taste roasted out of it and it will be very dull but there are no health effects that I know of from roasting so long.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
hi pino,
1st off, welcome to the coffeeforums. 2nd of all, those are some good looking beans, even the roasted ones look evenly roasted considering utilizing the pan method.
yes, as stated above, 1 hour is a long time to roast just 100 gr. of beans. maybe use a larger diameter pan so the beans won't be sitting on top of one another.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
hi pino,
1st off, welcome to the coffeeforums. 2nd of all, those are some good looking beans, even the roasted ones look evenly roasted considering utilizing the pan method.
yes, as stated above, 1 hour is a long time to roast just 100 gr. of beans. maybe use a larger diameter pan so the beans won't be sitting on top of one another.

Welcome aboard,
Please search youtube and see what others are doing.
When you are roasting that long(1hour) you are baking the beans not roasting them.
You should be able to roast a batch in around 12-17 mins depends on how dark you want your beans to be. But then again, if you like the taste of the beans you are getting, why bother to change anything.

Good Luck. ;)

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Welcome Pino to the forum.

Is that coffee in the pic Jakarta java or from the area? Looks great! At first I thought is was triple pick Lintong.

Like your Jericho grinder too!

Namballe gave great advice. You might try wider less deep cast iron skillet.
I started my coffee roasting in a 11 3/4 in. cast iron skillet
$_14.JPG

on and electric range. Wished I had a gas stove, but as they say "it was what it was".

Smoked up the kitchen big time even with an exhaust fan overhead. My wife was very tolerant!
Not to mention the chaff, all over me and the counter.

It was a challenge, and have to admit, I never mastered it, but I did try.
I used to have to heat up that skillet for a bit and then drop beans and continue the stirring craze.
I did have decent roast times per say, but also much scorching or tipping of the beans.
They were not baked, but a little burnt in places. I was drinking mostly dark roast back then though.

So if you could get enough consistent heat and keep stirring, you should be able to bring down your roast times.
Bet you are having fun!

pINO

Jan 2, 2014
Jakarta
Visit site
Hi Sae. Thank you for the health info, i feel safe ;). Yeah it's not common to roast the bean for so long, but i didn't overcook them, I got 1st crack for around 40 minutes. I usually stop before the bean started to oily and before i heard the 2nd crack.

pINO

Jan 2, 2014
Jakarta
Visit site
hi pino,

Hi Namballe, Thank you. It's Indonesian Arabica beans. Hehehe... I didn't stir the bean, I shook the pan (with the glass lid on it) along the roasting process.

pINO

Jan 2, 2014
Jakarta
Visit site
Welcome Pino to the forum.

Is that coffee in the pic Jakarta java or from the area? Looks great! At first I thought is was triple pick Lintong.

Like your Jericho grinder too!

Namballe gave great advice. You might try wider less deep cast iron skillet.
I started my coffee roasting in a 11 3/4 in. cast iron skillet
on and electric range. Wished I had a gas stove, but as they say "it was what it was".

Smoked up the kitchen big time even with an exhaust fan overhead. My wife was very tolerant!
Not to mention the chaff, all over me and the counter.

It was a challenge, and have to admit, I never mastered it, but I did try.
I used to have to heat up that skillet for a bit and then drop beans and continue the stirring craze.
I did have decent roast times per say, but also much scorching or tipping of the beans.
They were not baked, but a little burnt in places. I was drinking mostly dark roast back then though.

So if you could get enough consistent heat and keep stirring, you should be able to bring down your roast times.
Bet you are having fun!
Hi Jumpinjakjava, Thank you
It's just 1st grade (not premium or triple picked grade :)) full washed Arabica bean from Sapan, Toraja (Sulawesi/Celebes Indonesia). The mill is a chinese cheap burr grinder which is available around, functional enough for newbie like me. I'll consider your suggestion.

pINO

Jan 2, 2014
Jakarta
Visit site
Welcome aboard,
Please search youtube and see what others are doing.
When you are roasting that long(1hour) you are baking the beans not roasting them.
You should be able to roast a batch in around 12-17 mins depends on how dark you want your beans to be. But then again, if you like the taste of the beans you are getting, why bother to change anything.

Good Luck. ;)
HI Coffeejunky, thank you.
I did search. I did try to roast with the cheap popcorn popper, but i wasn't happy with the result. Can't gen even evenly roasted bean, lost the aromatic and the scale is too small. So, I go back with my old pan :D

kaffa

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Traditionally coffee is roasted in a flat pan in ethiopia.mostly they keep on stirring the beans so they don't get burn and roast evenly. it usually takes about 12 to 15 min for 12 oz batch. but 1 hour you will have a real burnt coffee.