Help Please: I found a diedrich IR 3tt I'm buying today

Jimmybean

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello coffee family. I found a 2007 Dedrich Ir 3 tt that I'm purchasing today. The question is? Is there anything I should be looking for when I examin it? The guy is supper cool. He was taking panails off it and showing me the infa red burners etc...they all seem to be there, and it looked clean and not burnt. I was thinking I must look clueless as I'm trying to pay attention to the absolutely forgin information I was taking in. He also invited me back to do a test roast before I purchase it. All in all I'm confident that the machin works well if it is just for the fact the guy knew so much about it, was enough to sell me on it. I know it works because they use it every day in their store and I have bought their beans. It comes with a roll cart as well. Are there though questions I shiuld be asking on a machine this old. They have out grown it and their location and have purchased to larger machines. So I have a feeling they are built to last. I don 'to have any reservations about buying it at all, just feel that I'm going in a little blind. Truly excited to start my next chapter as a coffeetier.
Thank you for any insight you can provide
jimmybean

Last edited by a moderator:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I don't have a Diedrich, but if you can have him demo it for a batch or three, that would help a lot - not only in knowing it's in working condition, but also in understanding how to use it - be sure to take lots of notes. You don't want to get it home, and start from square one as to how to properly roast coffee. Sorry if I'm incorrectly assuming what you know about roasting.

I'd ask how regularly it was cleaned and what sort of maintenance the roaster has required, and what their PM (preventative maintenance) schedule has been. A good place to look is at the fins of the exhaust blower, and any internal ducting.

Probably by the time you read this, the deed will be done. Please tell us how it went.

Howieneon

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Diedrich, but if you can have him demo it for a batch or three, that would help a lot - not only in knowing it's in working condition, but also in understanding how to use it - be sure to take lots of notes. You don't want to get it home, and start from square one as to how to properly roast coffee. Sorry if I'm incorrectly assuming what you know about roasting.

I'd ask how regularly it was cleaned and what sort of maintenance the roaster has required, and what their PM (preventative maintenance) schedule has been. A good place to look is at the fins of the exhaust blower, and any internal ducting.

Probably by the time you read this, the deed will be done. Please tell us how it went.

Hi Jimmy
i do have a Diedrich. Mine is a little larger than yours however the construction of all Diedrich roasters is absolutely amazing. They seem to be indistructable. When I bought mine, it was a complete mess. Dare I say that my roaster was never cleaned. Well, today it's about to be outfitted with some double wall PS grease ducting which is what Diedrich recommends. Also Diedrich seems to have a terrific supports staff. They never question the fact that you would be the second owner. They seems to have a life interest in their machines.
If you have anything else I may be able to help you with, feel free to email.
Howie