Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low Acid Coffee?

Hey Coffee Forum!

I've been getting some feedback from my customers saying that they have heard of this new Low Acid Coffee. Can you all shed some light on this? Can you roast to low acidity? Are there beans that are low acid? Is it in the brewing stage? Or is it a bunch of hooey?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Recently I've heard people talking about low acid coffee that they get from this place:

https://www.hevlacoffeeco.com/Coffee-Acidity-p-15.html

At the end of the page, they mention how they get their coffee to be lower in acid. I tried several times to copy and paste it here, but it didn't work.

Rose

Oftentimes this conversation mistakes acidity as a taste sensation with how people perceive coffee to be acidic because of how it feels in their stomach. Quality coffee, when roasted properly can be very bright/acidic, but have no effect on the stomach. People who are asking for low-acid coffee usually don't know what they're asking for, just trying to get away from the way lousy coffee ties their gut in a knot.

The pH of coffee itself may be slightly acidic, but should pose no true concerns.

Bright/acidic coffee, such as Kenya, can be tamed somewhat in the roast by slowing down going into 1C and then stretching the time after 1C. But then, why would you want to?

You can’t find coffee beans with low acid because coffee beans naturally have high acidity, thus this acid has anti-oxidant properties that help coffee become a health drink. However the acidity of coffee can be lowered by the process called cold brewing in both hot and ice forms.

Another way to reduce acidity of coffee is through very dark roasting.

I want to thank you all for your replies. Certainly helpful!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    Kenya, can be tamed somewhat in the roast by slowing down going into 1C and then stretching the time after 1C. But then, why would you want to?
    EXACTLY!!! You want low acidic coffee drink Kona.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I find Java Estate, Celebes Sulawesi, and Monsooned Malabar to be lower acid coffees.

I still want to steer this conversation back to the idea of what we as coffee roasters refer to as a coffee w/ less acidity to what the general public calls low acid coffee.

RecCup what do you think you customers are asking for and what do you think they are hearing about when they say low acid coffee. I think the term to the non-geek/non-snob (which many of us here are - in a good way) means something different than what we mean when we talk about acidity. To us it's a flavor sensation, and how a coffee sits on the tongue - to the rest of the world it has to do with their perception of how coffee sits in their gut. They're getting upset stomachs from low grade, poorly-roasted coffee and they ascribe that effect to coffee's acidity, which is a mistake.

Yeah, acidity when referred to in tasting coffee is really talking about a flavor note and not acid content. So sometimes I prefer to say sourness, tartness or tanginess, so I won't confuse even myself. Haha!

If anyone asks you for low acid coffee as in pH level, just tell them coffee is naturally low in acidity, I believe around 5 which is about the same as carbonated water and bananas. So definitely more neutral than any fruit juice and wine <- pH 3. The pH scale ranges from 0-14, with 7 (water) being neutral. Each pH value below 7 is 10 times more acidic than the previous number. Battery acid is pH 0.

Darker roasts are supposed to be even lower in acidity, not sure why, maybe burnt off just like caffeine is due to the longer roast process. So if somebody insists on lowest acidity on a pH level, maybe you should give them a darker roasted Indonesian!
    Last edited by tazzadiluna; 01-17-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: changed pH to "acidity" in regards to darker roasts
    My cheerful disposition is brought to you today by a STRONG cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    I still want to steer this conversation back to the idea of what we as coffee roasters refer to as a coffee w/ less acidity to what the general public calls low acid coffee.

RecCup what do you think you customers are asking for and what do you think they are hearing about when they say low acid coffee. I think the term to the non-geek/non-snob (which many of us here are - in a good way) means something different than what we mean when we talk about acidity. To us it's a flavor sensation, and how a coffee sits on the tongue - to the rest of the world it has to do with their perception of how coffee sits in their gut. They're getting upset stomachs from low grade, poorly-roasted coffee and they ascribe that effect to coffee's acidity, which is a mistake.
    Right. My customers are more concerned with how it effects their stomachs. If they taste "acid" they think it's going to eat out their stomach lining.

There is also a local roaster, not me, who states that "Our inherently low acid green beans come from lower elevations in Brazil, Sumatra and Columbia. Our process avoids the bitterness and the stomach issues of many coffees on the market today".

So it seems to be an educational opportunity on my part with my customers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links