Roasting Shells & Broken Pieces

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
When you buy low grade green beans, you get a fair share of shells and broken beans. Has anyone ever tried roasting the shells and broken pieces to see how the cupping is or what it tastes like?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
When you buy low grade green beans, you get a fair share of shells and broken beans. Has anyone ever tried roasting the shells and broken pieces to see how the cupping is or what it tastes like?

Hello "paypalboutique"

It amazes me that you're able to come up with these types of questions.

I really doubt that you'd get any support (here) for adding the shells and broken beans in the coffee that you sell.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing, so the question kind of confused me a little bit. Why bother cupping it?

He's probably thinking that there may be a slight chance that the "shells and broken pieces" could be thrown in when roasting the coffee beans, and turn out okay enough for people to buy the roasted low-grade coffee and not notice.

This topic reminded me of a diner that I once went to that watered down the ketchup thinking that people wouldn't notice. Most of their soups had an excessive amount of broth in them, and the meatloaf seemed to have more bread in it than meat. People noticed. They're out of business now, which is not a surprise.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I think when he found out 80% of the low grade green beans he purchased were actually defects, he realized he had actually paid $4.30/pound for what's left over. Somebody already said, "What goes around, comes around..."

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello "paypalboutique"

It amazes me that you're able to come up with these types of questions.

I really doubt that you'd get any support (here) for adding the shells and broken beans in the coffee that you sell.

I don't add shells or broken pieces to what I sell. Simply asking a hypothetical question.

Latest posts