Favorite blends?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I have about 60+ roasts under my belt and would like to experiment with blending origins. I have tried blending a Sumatran and Ethiopian together (the Ethiopian was dry-processed so I figured the Sumatran would dilute the after-taste of the Ethiopian) and I wasn't thrilled with the result. I used a 1:1 ratio.

What advice do you have on ratios and what origins you think go well together?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Are you blending before or after roasting? I only blend after roasting. Before starting the business, I studied both sides of the issue and there seemed to be merits for either process. However, experience has shown me that I get better result by roasting components separately. For instance, when blending Sumatra and sidamo, we take those beans to two different roast levels to bring out the best attributes. We also work with a different roast profile for those particular offerings. I take Sumatra to scrolling second crack relatively slowly and sidamo just to second crack quickly for best results.

You need to start experimenting with your ratios. For the berry characteristic of sidamo to shine, we blend two parts sidamo to one part Sumatra. This experimentation is much easier when blends are made post roast. I like to start the experimentation at a 50/50 ratio and go from there. A cupping session may entail 3-5 different ratios of the same beans. Often one blend is noticeable superior. Take notes during the process.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Great question! I have just started doing the same and Eldub brought up a factor that I have been struggling with form the aspect of developing the single origin appropriately. My question is: are there standard lengths of time that most roasters adhere to for developing the SO coffee? Example would be the SIdamo and Sumatra, do you always try to bring the Sidamo to your drop temp quickly?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I like to finish the sidamo in a little over 14 minutes and the Sumatra between 15-16 minutes. I think the Sumatran benefits from a more gentle roadting curve and the sidamo retains more berry flavor when pushed a bit faster. On the other hand, taking the sidamo a bit further and slower brings out more of a chocolate character, IMO.

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
Very good thread!! I've noticed the same results with both the Sidamo and Sumatra. I generally have longer profiles for my Sumatra and Java coffees to bring out the flavors, I will stretch my profiles for the Sidamos and Harrars if I'm looking for more chocolaty notes. Eldub hit the nail on the head as far as cupping goes. I'll have several different ratios of the same coffees blended and there is always one that really stands out.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
A few blends that seem to never fail are Kenya/Guat or Kenya/Peru. I've also had luck w/ Rwanda/Costa Rica. Obviously, they change depending on which Kenya/Guat/Peru or Rwanda/CR you're working with, but the almost always work. They're always post-roast blends. And for some reason, I rarely have luck with 1:1 ratios - usually I'll start w/ 60:40, and then flip that around.

Some blends will work as pre-roast, but it's important to look at the roasting dynamics of the individual components. My 86th St. Espresso Blend is 1 part Colombian:1 part Brazil:3 parts Sidamo. The Sidamo is a smaller bean so it'll get darker sooner than the Colombian, and Brazil's aren't high-grown and dense, so it'll roast similar to the Sidamo, and overall it does very well as a pre-roast.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys vary your Kenyan the way you do the Sidamo? I will try the Kenyan/Guat (I happen to have them on hand). Peterjschmidt, how do you roast your Guat?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Just a comment from the sidelines on a Mocha-Java blend . . . with the Sids we're more into dropping them just after first crack to highlight the floral and fruit or maybe a bit longer to bring out some caramel but we don't want to hear second crack with those beans. We rely on the Sumatra, roasted to second crack, dumping it when 2ndC starts and letting it finish in the cooling tray to bring out the chocolate. Blend them together post roast and we get a full range of flavor tasting the lighter notes of the Sid up front an then a pleasing honey/caramel/chocolate as that gives way to the earthier chocolaty Sumatra.

PJS: On to the blends you suggest we'll definitely give the Guat/Kenya a try. Do you recommend that for an espresso or more for a press or pour-over?

Last edited:

tomcadycoffeeville

Feb 3, 2014
Wayzata, MN
Visit site
A world famous cupper once said there is really only one blend "Mocha Java" all the others are variations on that theme. Traditionally it was 2/3 Java and 1/3 Yemen. The real trick might be just tryi ng to find a really good Yemen and a really good Java at the same time.

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
A world famous cupper once said there is really only one blend "Mocha Java" all the others are variations on that theme. Traditionally it was 2/3 Java and 1/3 Yemen. The real trick might be just tryi ng to find a really good Yemen and a really good Java at the same time.

You sir are correct!!! The coffee coming out of Yemen has been horrible for the last couple of years, but I've had really good success with the Java Blawan Estate beans this year. I've substituted a good Ethiopian coffee for the Yemen and blended with the Java makes a really nice Mocha Java.