Looking to start a coffee roasting business

HCR

Feb 11, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
Visit site
I lived in Indonesia for 16 years and loved the coffee over there but when I came back to America and experienced the coffee culture here it all seemed so stale. Coffee shops being about so much more than just simple coffee. Indonesia taught me about simplicity and the love of coffee. I want to bring that back to America ( or at least do my part in bringing it back). I was wondering if anyone had any tips about starting a CR business here in America as well as Green bean suppliers (preferably from Indonesia) also looking for a supplier of kopi luwak if anyone knows about that.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I lived in Indonesia for 16 years and loved the coffee over there but when I came back to America and experienced the coffee culture here it all seemed so stale. Coffee shops being about so much more than just simple coffee. Indonesia taught me about simplicity and the love of coffee. I want to bring that back to America ( or at least do my part in bringing it back). I was wondering if anyone had any tips about starting a CR business here in America as well as Green bean suppliers (preferably from Indonesia) also looking for a supplier of kopi luwak if anyone knows about that.

There are few Indonesian Kopi Luwak distributors in US but as you can imagine the price is out of sight.
We have tons of micro artisan coffee roasters are on this board and it is not hard to start one. But as we all know, owning a business is difficult task. You will need tons of money and hard working hours and there is no guarantee you will succeed.

If you have further questions, please ask specific questions. For example, what is the best roasting machines, what size should you buy, do I need packing machine? What type of grinders should I get. etc.

HCR

Feb 11, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
Visit site
Thanks CoffeeJunky,
I have been roasting my own coffee for a few years now in Indonesia and just figuring out how to turn that into a business here in America. Perfect! Yea I realize I didn't ask the right questions before. Thank you for your reply.
1. So for a start up CR business would I need a packing machine?
2. What size of coffee roaster would I need?
3. Would it be better to start from home or a commercial space? (or possibly online store?)
4. Any specific Green bean wholesale suppliers that I should be looking at?

Thanks again for any help!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
1. It really depends on the market you are after. If you want to sell online, I am sure you will need packing and sealer. If you are planning on sell locally only, there are other options.
2. I think if you are a experienced roaster, I would recommend one of our artisan roaster have stated in the past. Buy 10kg machine and learn to roast as little as 1 pound on it. He said that was possible.
3. It really depends on the city ordinances. You might or might not be able to roast at home. Check with your city and see if that is possible. It would save you tons of money if you can at home.
4. There are tons of Wholesale company out there. Cafe Importans Royal coffee are few of them. Look up and you will find many of them out there.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You won't need a packing machine to begin with.

Decide if you want a roaster to grow into or out of.

Set up shop in a commercial space if you are serious about the venture.