Price on Toper 10kg

kerriannday

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have an option to buy a Toper TKM 10kg roaster. The seller is asking $15,000 but I really have no idea what it's worth. She is the second owner and estimates that it is 14 years old but has only been operational for the past 9 years. It was apparently a cafe decoration for the first 5 years. It is in good shape and is fully functioning. Does anyone have an idea of what the fair market price for such a beauty would be or where I might find out. Any help would be appreciated. Prices on used equipment seems to be the best kept secret on the internet. And I can't find anyone selling used Topers. Does this mean that once you get one, you never want to let it go?! ;)

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Could not agree more with CJ. Actually, the age and being the 3rd owner, I would have a real hard time shelling out 5k for it.

Check out this current post in the Coffee Forum, 15k Primo, almost half the price:
Primo PRI 35 roaster for sale (2 of them) asking $8,000 each.
Who knows cash talks!

There are Oxturks also for sale on Ebay. Equivalent to Topers and Ambexs. Turkish manufactured.

10 Kilo 22lb Ozturk Commercial Coffee Roaster New | eBay

A little less than a brand new 10k Toper.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Could not agree more with CJ. Actually, the age and being the 3rd owner, I would have a real hard time shelling out 5k for it.

Check out this current post in the Coffee Forum, 15k Primo, almost half the price:
Primo PRI 35 roaster for sale (2 of them) asking $8,000 each.
Who knows cash talks!

I forgot about that.
This Primo roaster that is for sale on our site is owned by one hell of roaster who actually upgraded his burner. And he seem to know in and out of his roaster. If I am buying older roaster, I would only buy Probat, Diedrich, or few top brand or from someone who is respectable and knowledgeable.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Kerriannday- Great machine! Good price! Especially with the profiling system. I have a 2006 Ambex 10k.
No profiling, I have to log by hand, but have gotten used to it. The Norfab ducting is expensive and awesome.
clamps together for easy assembly and disassembles for cleaning. No, I am not making any profit on endorsing this sale.
But if you are very interested in a good roaster, here you go. I would move quickly, agreeing with Topher, it will sell fast.

http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/business-business-b2b/11898-ambex-ym10-sale.html

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with JJJ and Topher. Ambex is good company with pretty good tech support down in Florida. I have talk to them few times about different issues and they were pretty responsive. I would feel much comfortable with Ambex verses Toper or Ozturk.

Last edited:

kerriannday

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I am new to this forum and was expecting to receive a notification when someone replied so I thought no one had. Imagine my surprise to see 13 replies! I am both grateful and disappointed to see that the asking price for the roaster is much more than it should be. I should say, however, that the $15,000 CDN (I am in Alberta) is for a turnkey business that included the roaster installed in the location that I would be using it, a grinder, bag sealer, bins, a very limited inventory of green beans and a very unstable and limited customer base. It also comes with a unsuccessful brand and e-commerce website that I'm not even factoring into the price since my plan is to completely change the name, branding, and web site. Right now, I think she's selling only about 30-50 lbs a week.
There is also some good will to account for since the current owner has been training me for the past year and would be passing along all her profiles too.
I might still go ahead with the purchase since I think it's a pretty easy way to start a roasting business but, based on your advice, I'm thinking I'll offer her $10,000 for everything mentioned above.
Any other input now that you have more information? Thanks to all.