I am looking to buy a Roaster

MindxInc

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I am looking for something like an Ambex YM-2 or a similar capacity roaster. Just have a lot of coffee I want to start roasting in batches and selling at farmers markets and the like. Open to suggestions from those who are more experienced than I.

Thanks,
Diego

Last edited by a moderator:

Katiebaye

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat as Diego and would appreciate some guidance from you more experienced roasters out there. What brand is everyone's favorite. What size is the best to go with for someone wanting to start out at farmers markets and such. 2kg plenty or go straight to an 11kg or bigger? Please help!

Thanks,
Kate

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I agree with Peter. It will depend on volume, and that is a hard thing to speculate in the beginning. How long before I may outgrow the roaster?
A 2k model is considered a tabletop roaster. So that is a small footprint. But there are not too many that will actually roast a full 5lb.
I know that Roaster Authority now builds roasters that roast the capacity stated. I run an Ambex 10, glad I started with this size.
Looks like it will be a while before I outgrow it.

Diego and Kate, do you want to set the roaster up at the Farmer's markets etc? If so, Then I would suggest the 2k(20lb. propane & generator).
More work, but great sales enhancer. I know folks in the forum have done this, maybe some will respond.
If roasting at home or offsite, then I would not purchase anything less that a 5k. Just my thoughts.

Hope the best to you!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with Peter. It will depend on volume, and that is a hard thing to speculate in the beginning. How long before I may outgrow the roaster?
A 2k model is considered a tabletop roaster. So that is a small footprint. But there are not too many that will actually roast a full 5lb.
I know that Roaster Authority now builds roasters that roast the capacity stated. I run an Ambex 10, glad I started with this size.
Looks like it will be a while before I outgrow it.

Diego and Kate, do you want to set the roaster up at the Farmer's markets etc? If so, Then I would suggest the 2k(20lb. propane & generator).
More work, but great sales enhancer. I know folks in the forum have done this, maybe some will respond.
If roasting at home or offsite, then I would not purchase anything less that a 5k. Just my thoughts.

Hope the best to you!

This is what i would have suggested.
If you are planning on doing this full time, I would suggest even bigger roaster.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Deigo...you are in Delray beach right? I have a friend who is willing to rent you time on his roaster. He is in Sunrise and has a 15 kilo. I think he said $20 an hour...which is really fair. Just thought I would throw that out there.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
20 an hour? Wow that is cheap.....
I saw few people trying to start a roasting club with 2 roasters to share and they were asking 2500 to buy in and 200 dollars maintenance fee per month. And they were looking for 30-40 members.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
one 15 kg diedrich and one 25 kg i think it was Sanfran. I am not sure if they were brand new. So yeah, 20 dollars an hour roasting possibly around 100 pounds translates into around 20cents a pound. That is nothing......

jstanderfer

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm wondering if you have leads on any used/refurbished Diedrichs or Probats? We are a small specialty coffee shop in Chile that is begining to roast for other coffee shops in the area (on friends machines thus far, we need our own ASAP), very exciting.

Latest posts