Possible for FZ-94 Roaster connected to Mac for roast logging?

HMZimelka

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Good day,

I've recently received my Coffee Tech FZ-94 and would really like to start using the roast logging functionality.

The software that Coffee Tech supplies is for Windows only, and so far, that hasn't worked on a loaner PC I had.

Otherwise, I only use Macs so far, and would ideally like to stay with OSX, but I have had no luck.

Originally, I was led to believe the roaster uses a prolific PL2303 USB connector, and I therefore installed the necessary drivers. Nothing worked.
Then it turns out, it's a CH341 device, which has no Mac support.

Today, however, Coffee Tech has told me that some clients have had success with this roaster using Artisan, but haven't elaborated on the details.
I'm stumped at what to do next. The drivers I've installed don't work. The roaster is recognised in system profiler, but states it's not configured, which indicates no device specific driver is installed. I'm hoping somebody here has been successful and could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Last edited:

MAKOMO

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Dear Martin,

a little delayed, but my recent post on the Artisan blog regarding the FZ-94 might help you. As I am not allowed to post a link here yet, you have to google for

artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de and/or connecting-artisan-to-coffee-tech-fz-94.html

I wonder about the connectors chipset. I was told it is a FTDI. If it is the CH341 in your case you can install the corresponding driver. I did that successfully on Mac OS X 10.10. So the CH341 has Mac support. At least now.

Best,
Marko

HMZimelka

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Dear Marko,

Thank you, but I couldn't get it to work...

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 08.58.00.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-02 at 09.01.42.png

The USB to serial device in my roaster is a CH340 something or other...
CH340.jpg

Dear Martin,

a little delayed, but my recent post on the Artisan blog regarding the FZ-94 might help you. As I am not allowed to post a link here yet, you have to google for

artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de and/or connecting-artisan-to-coffee-tech-fz-94.html

I wonder about the connectors chipset. I was told it is a FTDI. If it is the CH341 in your case you can install the corresponding driver. I did that successfully on Mac OS X 10.10. So the CH341 has Mac support. At least now.

Best,
Marko

Last edited:

Danny

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Martin,

did you solve your problem with connecting your FZ-94 to the Artisan software. I have the samen problem here.
Like to hear from you.

Best, Danny

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Dear Martin,

Best,
Marko

I've struggled with the Modbus data logging protocol on the FZ-94 also. In the end, I tried 3 different laptops and got one of them to work. I think there's a driver conflict on my usual logging laptop, because I got it to work fully with my Surface Pro 3. Another laptop would only connect to the BT PID.

Also, it may take a couple of minutes to link and get data. Look at the communications light on each PID. If they're blinking green, it's passing data but it might take a couple of minutes for Artisan to sync.