Unlicensed K-Cup Roasters

jcohen14

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I would love to get the opinion of any unlicensed K-Cup roasters who currently outsource manufacturing. If the Keurig 2.0 is ultimately a "closed" system, will you consider licensing your brand to Keurig? Why?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You have to be really big to have Green mountain produce kcups for your brand. Last company I was at was selling 100,000 lbs a month. When we reached out to them...they said we were not big enough. There are a lot of companies now producing "kcups" A few are on this forum...supposedly a friend of mine is going to be able to produce 50,000 a day. He said he should be up and running in 30 days or so.

jcohen14

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Topher, thank you so much for your response. Do you think now with the "closed" Keurig 2.0 that many of these unlicensed players will be "scared" into agreeing to license their brands to Green Mountain if Green Mountain wants them?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Hopefully Judy Hoyers and Treehouse foods will win their lawsuits! They said they will defend themselves vigorously against this suit....well hell yeah they will...they want that 14% of the market back. I personally do not like Kcups but the money to be made is INSANE!!! If you hear anything else on this enlighten us.

shovenose

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if it's on topic but the San Francisco Bay OneCup (don't love it, but a friend gave me a bunch for free) stuff works fine in my Keurig except that there is a little bit more coffee mess around the top of the used K cup and it also takes longer to come out at the beginning of the brew cycle...

Is this is an "unlicensed" brand - I don't understand?? Or is like Newman's Own where Newmans really has nothing to do with it?

soundisgood

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Keurig 2.0 is happening because their patent expired. The “interactive technology” is their new patent and an attempt to maintain market share. I know of one machine that will be able to brew using any brand of pod and it's actually a better technology. Keurig is still going to be a huge force in the market but their lockout is over. I read one report that projected private label pods will account for 12% of the US coffee market in 2014. Once these new "unlicensed" brewers hit the market, in my opinion the only holdup in an explosion of small roasters selling pods is the cost of the packaging equipment.

I'm not qualified to post links yet but if you search for "remington icup" you'll find it.