Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HotTop damage during shipping - safe to use?

Greetings all. I am looking to get into home roasting and just purchased a HotTop P on ebay. Unfortunately it was damaged during shipping and before I try to use it (or return it), I was wondering if any experts on this board could tell whether it is safe to use or not. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the drum, but there are numerous cracks in the black plastic housing. Pictures can be seen here: imgur.com/a/YlPXt (copy and paste, sorry can't post images yet!)

Thanks for the help!

Super Moderator
    HotTop damage during shipping - safe to use?-c0vdbwj.jpgHotTop damage during shipping - safe to use?-n4om2jl.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	C0vDBwJ.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	485.1 KB 
ID:	1706HotTop damage during shipping - safe to use?-ukpqw4s.jpgHotTop damage during shipping - safe to use?-miqvp3i.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HotTop damage during shipping - safe to use?-t0tsnkp.jpg  
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

IMHO, I would most assuredly return it promptly. It is not worth the gamble, even though it may be fine.
    Whether it was purchased as a used item or new? Send it back.

Super Moderator
    I'm sure you were waiting for it to arrive, and you're anxious to get started using it, but you really should send it back. You didn't pay for a broken piece of equipment. Someone needs to accept the responsibility for the damage. Send it back.

did you open the package after the shipper left your house? i say send it back too
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

I think it is mostly cosmetic damage. I will talk to the seller about it. Let him decide what is fair. If it is not your satisfactory, I would return it. If he is willing to refund partially or pay for the repair, i would keep it. But that is up to you. Good Luck

I would send those photos to the seller and tell him you are sending it back.
    My cheerful disposition is brought to you today by a STRONG cup of coffee.

In the interest of keeping the thread updated I ended up keeping the roaster and accepting a partial refund from the seller. This is after contacting hottopusa and inspecting the internals for damage. Only the plastic on the base and rear panel suffered any damage during shipping, and those can be replaced if I so desire. In the mean time, I roasted my first batch and it came out amazing! Works just fine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks for the update. Have fun roasting!

I've done about a dozen roasts since my last post and I've been experiencing uneven roast results pretty consistently. This happens using auto or manual mode with several different beans (ethiopian, guatemalan, rwandan) and all with 230g batch size. Does anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this? These images were taken of my most recent roast with a rwandan from SM, ejected at the end of first crack, around 394 degrees on the HT display.

imgur.com/a/b6vw2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links