Bags - To Vent or Not to Vent?

Pinto

Jan 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Visit site
OK... I've been researching bags and it's starting to make my head spin here. I need to make a decision on where to buy bags and what type. I'm having trouble deciding on vented or non-vented bags. From what I have read on the net, it is a mixed bag (pun intended). Some roasters claim they've had unvented bags explode on them, and others claim they've never had a problem with unvented bags. I would like to go unvented only because we have plans to silk screen our logos on the bags, and the little plastic vent will cause problems for a smooth print job on the bags. However, I do not want clients getting popped bags of bean. Now, attached to vented or non-vented, can anyone recommend a coffee bag wholesaler that is reasonably priced, and offers some enviro friendly options? Also, is it imperative to go heat seal? Seems like the tin tie bags might not seal the freshness in as well. If you heat seal your bags, do they need to have the Co2 vents? Oh, and I read somewhere where a guy dropped the vents because he felt they were ineffective, and he went to the vacuum seal. Decisions, decisions... Any insight in regards to their bag experiences is more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sorry to say but you are going to want to have a valve. If not your bags will puff up and even pop...I wouldn't call it an explosion. Coffee degases really quickly after you roast. It slows down after the first 24 hours, but it still does degas after the first 24. If it stops degassing it is cashed and will taste like cardboard. I personally like my coffee heat sealed. It keeps it a lot more fresh and also assures me that no one has opened it before I left the store. Hope this helps.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I agree that vents are critical. But you can circumvent some of the issues perhaps, by leaving the bag zipped but not heat-sealed for a day or two, depending on how quickly you need to ship or stock shelves. I find it interesting, that even with valved bags, after a couple days that section above the zipper and below the heat-seal seam starts to poof too; zippers are not really very good at sealing.

I think it was on this forum that I read how somebody mistakenly bought a ton of non-valved bags, and got around it with a small, unseen, pin-prick at the top corner of the bag... more work for you, and another step I'd want to avoid if you're dealing with lots of roasting, but it could work.

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I remember that discussion Peter..only problem is it is not a one way hole like the valves. I used to have a form fill and seal machine that had a pin that would puncture each bag...I now sell Half pound wholesale and 12 oz - 1 lb bags. They all have the valve. The valve costs $.11...I figure pay the extra money and don't let the coffee be exposed to air. Eleven cents is not going to kill you...if it is you are not charging enough for your coffee.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I would like to go unvented only because we have plans to silk screen our logos on the bags, and the little plastic vent will cause problems for a smooth print job on the bags.
i've seen bags that were printed right over the valves, allbeit, probably done "flexo print" method. can your graphic designer get around the valved portion of the bag? also, i believe the "tin tie" bags also need to be heat sealed.

rcsharpless

Mar 22, 2014
Austin, TX
Visit site
Definitely get one-way valves. I worked as a coffee buyer at Whole Foods, and their criteria (and I believe the same goes for most grocery stores) for roasted coffee is that it must be packaged with a one-way valve for all the degassing that goes on. Also, if you are bagging your coffee more than a couple hours right after the roast, I'd suggest eventually investing in some nitrogen flushing equipment (keeps the coffee from oxidizing too much).

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I am joining the party so late into the game, but I am having similar concerns/questions.

A few of you in this thread know that I am in the preliminary stages of bringing in coffee from numerous regions in Guatemala. When is the best time to bag roasted whole bean and roasted ground coffee? There appears to be a high recommendation to have the valve and to seal, regardless of having a tin-tie. How are the smaller ops weighing coffee, bagging, and sealing?

How many of you store roasted coffee and for how long?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
It depends who you're selling to. Is someone coming to you or your shop to buy coffee? If so, a simple tin-tie bag is good. If you're selling to people you never see -- like retail sales -- then heat seal and use a bag with a valve. It's that simple.

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
It depends who you're selling to. Is someone coming to you or your shop to buy coffee? If so, a simple tin-tie bag is good. If you're selling to people you never see -- like retail sales -- then heat seal and use a bag with a valve. It's that simple.

Thank you! How are smaller ops heat sealing?

delimacoffee

Jun 5, 2014
Cicero, New York
Visit site
OK... I've been researching bags and it's starting to make my head spin here. I need to make a decision on where to buy bags and what type. I'm having trouble deciding on vented or non-vented bags. From what I have read on the net, it is a mixed bag (pun intended). Some roasters claim they've had unvented bags explode on them, and others claim they've never had a problem with unvented bags. I would like to go unvented only because we have plans to silk screen our logos on the bags, and the little plastic vent will cause problems for a smooth print job on the bags. However, I do not want clients getting popped bags of bean. Now, attached to vented or non-vented, can anyone recommend a coffee bag wholesaler that is reasonably priced, and offers some enviro friendly options? Also, is it imperative to go heat seal? Seems like the tin tie bags might not seal the freshness in as well. If you heat seal your bags, do they need to have the Co2 vents? Oh, and I read somewhere where a guy dropped the vents because he felt they were ineffective, and he went to the vacuum seal. Decisions, decisions... Any insight in regards to their bag experiences is more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

Vent or valve especially if you pack hot. Coffee degases and will pop the bag.