Home roasting: How to roast coffee with a pan?

saigoncafe

Hi all,
I would like to roast coffee at home but I do not have a roaster. Can I do with a pan and a stove? I used to try once and the coffee beans were not popped up. The beans would have been double in size. Could you give me your recommendations?
Thanks a lot.

Thu

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I tried it years ago...you need a lid to the pan and have to constantly move the coffee. Your arm will be killing you after you are done from moving the pan so much. Once the coffee is roasted you need to cool it. I put it in 2 colanders and shook it to cool. Makes a lot of smoke and I suggest using a washed bean so you don't have chaff flying everywhere.
Let us know what you come up with ;)

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
I know a few people that have done it with a whirly pop with decent results. not sure how even your roast will be just using a pan. Make sure you have a good stove vent........Cough.......Cough............Cough

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
hahahaha!! Hood vent isn't going to help...your house will fill with smoke and chaff. I guess I forgot to mention that...but it does work. My wife was mad cuz I wore something like 8 frying pans out from rubbing them on the burner.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i started out with the pan, and got pretty good results. a few things i did: use a fairly deep pot, say about 5" deep (keeps beans from flying out). don't use too many beans as they will be stacked on one another. i used a "hardwood spoon" for stirring the beans continuously (this is very important for an even roast). i did my roasting in front of a huge window that swung open, and also opened the front door of the house. after the beans are roasted, immediately place them in a stainless steel colander. have another colander there to pour back and forth to each one while blowing out the chaff (doing this outside). you will eventualy find what works for you. Good luck

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
First, if you are roasting with pan, you need lid. The lid actually helps keep the smoke inside of the pan and you can release the smoke periodically towards your vent. If you are not careful(which is almost everytime for me) .
Second, stirring is important when you start seeing smoke. But you don't have to really kill youself stirring. Its better to have even roast but I learn quickly that you are not a machine and you won't get the perfectly roasted bean on stove top.
Third. Cooling your bean will be very important. You want to cool them as quickly as possible.