Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to learn from a roaster

Hello all,

I have been roasting with a popcorn popper for about one and a half years. I roast every 1-2 weeks in very small batches. I have friends and coworkers who want to buy coffee from me which is awesome. I want to perfect my roasting abilities and then use a bigger roaster later on. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is a roaster in Louisville or knows of one who would be open to showing me the ropes???

I'm not sure many roasters are looking to help the career of potential competition.

there are a lot of online resources, (as well as this site) regarding coffee roasting. also, printed literature that you can purchase/download.
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

Quote Originally Posted by travieso2989 View Post
    Hello all,

I have been roasting with a popcorn popper for about one and a half years. I roast every 1-2 weeks in very small batches. I have friends and coworkers who want to buy coffee from me which is awesome. I want to perfect my roasting abilities and then use a bigger roaster later on. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is a roaster in Louisville or knows of one who would be open to showing me the ropes???

Roasting apprenticeships are difficult to come by, although it seems opportunities do present themselves with established companies looking to expand.
    Have you ever thought about an internship in South/Central America? Workaway has internship opportunities on coffee farms. It might be an advantage learning in those conditions if you can deal with the timely commitment. Less pretentious, people with family values, simple ways of life and willing to share a learned skill that has been around for generations.

Quote Originally Posted by WatVentu View Post
    Roasting apprenticeships are difficult to come by, although it seems opportunities do present themselves with established companies looking to expand.
    Have you ever thought about an internship in South/Central America? Workaway has internship opportunities on coffee farms. It might be an advantage learning in those conditions if you can deal with the timely commitment. Less pretentious, people with family values, simple ways of life and willing to share a learned skill that has been around for generations.

This will be very difficult to do since roasting is not his day job but hobby.

The reality is if you want to learn to roast on better equipment, YOU need to make the investment of money and time to do so. Otherwise, as CoffeeJunky pointed out, it's just a hobby.

For many of us, our first roaster was $5-$10K out of pocket, and we spent hundreds of hours that first year learning the craft.
    You can't teach passion, desire, hard work, or skill. If YOU want to learn, you will do what ever is necessary to find the time and money to do so.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I'm on my own haha. I'm just sending samples to friends and if they like it then I'll start selling it, if not, nbd

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    The reality is if you want to learn to roast on better equipment, YOU need to make the investment of money and time to do so. Otherwise, as CoffeeJunky pointed out, it's just a hobby.

For many of us, our first roaster was $5-$10K out of pocket, and we spent hundreds of hours that first year learning the craft.
    You can't teach passion, desire, hard work, or skill. If YOU want to learn, you will do what ever is necessary to find the time and money to do so.
    Amen Brother. Thats the best answer I've heard in years

I am in the same boat, travieso. It's sort of a catch-22 of this industry....you need experience to get a job yet it's nearly impossible to get experience on a commercial roaster without putting your own money into it. I'm likely going to have to drop the money for a 1 - 2 kg roaster to get any type of near-commercial experience...

I roasted for several years using two SC/TO's, which could produce 4#/hour, and the monthly totals bounced from 50-70# per month. Granted, the results are achieved in different ways using a commercial roaster, but those early years gave me an indispensable understanding of what the beans go through and what they 'like' during a roast profile. Understanding the effects of heat and airflow can be learned in different ways at different speeds. I'd suggest that you're better off learning on your own at your own pace, getting familiar with how beans roast, and then jumping in w/ both feet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links