Help me find a heat sealer

LBBeans

Apr 17, 2012
BC, Canada
Visit site
If I'm sealing foil-lined kraft bags or just regular foil bags what kind of heat sealer do I need? It seems to me that the wire strip impulse sealers don't create a wide enough seal so I'm thinking about a foot operated, direct heat with some kind of crimping or waffle jaw. A continuous band sealer would be nice but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
6"Constant Heat Hot Jaw Hand Held Sealer 9 16 Wide Seal for Mylar Bags KF150CST | eBay

This one has worked fine for me. But make sure you purchase the wide seal.
Mine has a high and low setting. I usually leave it on the high setting unless
I am sealing less thick foil sample bags, after the sealer has heated up,
I will turn to low for the sample bags. You could surf the internet for maybe a better deal.
I have seen them range between $80.00 --$130.00.
If that suits you price range.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
This is the impulse sealer I use; TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL. It's more costly than the typical 12", but the reason I opted for this model is for its magnetic hold feature. It has an electromagnet that holds it shut for the sealing time and the cooling time, which is great because I can work on filling the next bag instead of standing there holding the sealer closed. Even though it may be 10sec. or less, it's a great convenience feature.

Last edited:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Whats your budget? North Atlantic Bags sells a jaw sealer, AMI heat sealers have a wide range of options and pricing, DoBoy has a great bench mount/handheldsealer. 5lb foil lined bags take a lot of heat so consider that if you will be using that large of a bag.

LBBeans

Apr 17, 2012
BC, Canada
Visit site
I'm looking at 500-1000 bags/day.

from 2oz pouches to 5lb bags. kraft lined with foil.

I tried some bags on a friend's impulse sealer. Not as nice as the one peterjschmidt linked, just a regular tabletop one. I found it sealed the pouches fine but didn't make an airtight seal on the foil side gusset bags.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've got some reading to do.

harryh

Jun 13, 2013
Brazil
Visit site
Can anyone comment on the following? Someone just told me that the sealing process releases smoke into the bag and taints the coffee? Has anyone had this problem?? Thanks

harryh

Jun 13, 2013
Brazil
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I just got a cheap tabletop impulse sealer. The sealer itself actually has a funny plastic/glue smell, but nothing seems to get trapped in the bags.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
An old Guatemalan friend of mine that both grew his own coffee in the homeland and roasts and sells his own recommended a floor model with foot peddle such as this one on EBay for only $69:

New 110V 12" Foot Pedal Impulse Sealer Heat Seal Machine Plastic Bag Sealing | eBay (one seal on each side of bag gives a complete seal) but if your doing 500 plus bags a day an impulse sealer is likely not your choice. Rather a hot sealer would be...

funny thing is he just uses a clothes iron. And he prefers that over even a $300 sealer he has;)