Any insight on starting to roast in a drum roaster?

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello, we are a small start up roaster based in the Dallas area. We are starting the industry to support our ministry. We run several small programs that help young men and women overcome addiction and life problems. We don't charge for our services and after one of our sister facilities started roasting in a home air roaster, we decided to give it a shot. We want to roast organic/direct trade coffee and ask for donations for it in our area.
That being said we are about to receive a javaPRO-CRC drum roaster this week and start roasting. We have green coffee, we have bags, all we have to do is get the roast process down and we are good to go. So my question is, does anyone have experience with this machine, or any advice on using a drum roaster in general? I have roasted some small batches in a convection over that turned out pretty well, but don't want to waste much coffee learning the machine. I understand the cracks and smell I think, I was a chef in the past so I think that helps. Anyways any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! and glad to be on the forum!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
This is not really a commercial quality machine.
It is made from existing rotisserie machine and you will have hard time roasting your beans in consistent base.
If i were you, I would look into better commercial grade roaster.

CJ

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'm sure we will soon, but we wanted to test the market out and make sure we could do well before getting into an expensive roaster. As I said, we are a ministry first and our budget is not giant. But I think we can get a good start with this one. Got some good info via PM with a member too. Appreciate the help!

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That is a good idea, there are several roasters close to us, one of them seems to have similar goals so that may be a possibility. Thanks!

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Cheers, I'm sure many of us will quickly, although many of us desired to examination industry available in addition to make certain we could do well ahead of getting into a costly roaster. As i explained, i am any ministry 1st in addition to the spending budget seriously isn't huge. However I'm sure we could receive a good beginning with this particular one. Got some good details by means of EVENING with a associate way too. Value this support!
none of your post make any sense, stop spamming your incoherent blabbering gibberish on threads.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
If the CDC roaster is a BBQ based drum roaster, I disagree with the posters that dismiss this as a reliable roasting method. I built my own and am roasting small batches on it now with pretty good consistency. Especially if it has come to you free or cheaply. Pm me if you would like specifics.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If the CDC roaster is a BBQ based drum roaster, I disagree with the posters that dismiss this as a reliable roasting method. I built my own and am roasting small batches on it now with pretty good consistency. Especially if it has come to you free or cheaply. Pm me if you would like specifics.

It is not bbq based drum roaster but even the bbq grill drum roaster would not be very reliable for the commercial use unless you don't care about the consistent base of the roasted beans.
1. Drum roaster can't really eliminate chaff completely.
2. You will have problem with smoke which means you have to roast outside
3. Outside temperature changes and resulting in inconsistency in roast
4. If you are roasting for hours, your bean temperature changes and that can result in inconsistent result.

There are many variables when it comes to roasting. I have used just about all the roasting method for home use but there isn't any roasting method that can duplicate the commercial roast in consistent base.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
CJ, I agree with all of your points. But the BBQ based roaster is a good way to learn how to roast, and if you learn its ways, you can get a good start on being able to afford the high cost of a commercial drum roaster. At least that is my plan!

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input, Have 8 roasts so far in varying amounts. So far pretty good results, but it is difficult to get it really consistent. Looking into making a larger roaster out of a commercial convection oven for roasting chickens, and building a drum to fit inside, basically taking the idea of what we have and enlarging it. I have no doubt that it would not match up to a pro commercial roaster, but our goal is to build something for around $1500 and use it for the first year to develop the business and then possibly get an expensive roaster. Our main audience for our roasts is everyday people wanting better coffee and to support a good cause, so as long as our coffee is marginally better than Folgers or even Starbucks we will be pleased.

Any thoughts on what would be better, going with a larger BBQ setup or using a commercial rotisserie oven?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Thanks for the input, Have 8 roasts so far in varying amounts. So far pretty good results, but it is difficult to get it really consistent. Looking into making a larger roaster out of a commercial convection oven for roasting chickens, and building a drum to fit inside, basically taking the idea of what we have and enlarging it. I have no doubt that it would not match up to a pro commercial roaster, but our goal is to build something for around $1500 and use it for the first year to develop the business and then possibly get an expensive roaster. Our main audience for our roasts is everyday people wanting better coffee and to support a good cause, so as long as our coffee is marginally better than Folgers or even Starbucks we will be pleased.

Any thoughts on what would be better, going with a larger BBQ setup or using a commercial rotisserie oven?

I would go with BBQ if you are planning on large batch. If you are going to roast smaller batch, I would go with CRO.
But I would be afraid to use them for commercial use. What if your beans don't impress your customers at first. Most of them won't give you second chance. So you might not be able to truly build your business.
But if you are going to really try your luck on either of the roasters, I would start your blend to be full city roaster.

Good Luck

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, I've just been wondering too if it's even possible to sell beans from like say a BBQ homemade roaster? Do you have to get your roaster inspected before you can sell from it? I've been searching our state's info and can't seem to find out what is needed. And I'm guessing each state's laws are different, so maybe that's a hard question to answer.