Interested in starting roasting, but where to start

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm very interested in a future Roasting business, but understand that there is an art to it.
So I'm wondering where the best place to start is. Should I invest in a home roasting unit (doesn't seem to translate to a commercial unit)
Do I invest in a Shop or sample roaster to learn the craft. Or do I jump right in and get a 5Kg or larger unit and commit

What are your thoughts

Thanks
Jason

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
all of that depends on your budget and your interest in coffee. i started on a stovetop "pan roasting". went from that to a small 5 kilo roaster. did the pan roasting only for a few months. there have been several topics about "how do i start a roasting biz" here on the forums. do a search in the upper right of the screen, or just browse the older threads.
btw, welcome to the coffee forums :p

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Namballe,
I've been reading a lot of the older threads. But didn't come across one that addressed the "Where to Start".
I guess it's less about the starting a business more to do with where is the best place to start roasting. If your eventual goal is to get into business.

Do you learn enough about roasting profiles when you buy a home roaster for example a Behmor or Hottop.

Thanks

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
hi Jason. if you've got the money, buy yourself some good beans and start pan roasting if you like. you will be surprised at how well that works. or, if you prefer, buy a small roaster and just start roasting away. you will eventually find a "sweet spot" for your roast profile. i prefer a light roast. and take lots of notes. keep a timer with you also when roasting.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
A Heat Gun / Dog Bowl set up (HG/DB) will also help you learn the principles of roasting because it's so hands on. Hottops can produce pretty good coffee, much more so than a Behmor, but they are both trying to be the roaster and the roaster. You want to start with something that will teach you how to be a roaster that can manipulate the roaster, if you get my drift. There are some good books around regarding the principles of roasting - I did not use them, but they're out there - but you still have to get in there and do it, and I'd suggest doing it as manually as possible; maybe it can be analogous to learning photography with a fully manual DSLR vs. an automatic point-and-shoot. Once you understand the dynamics of applying heat to coffee beans and how to use airflow, you can roast on anything.

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
hi Jason. if you've got the money, buy yourself some good beans and start pan roasting if you like. you will be surprised at how well that works. or, if you prefer, buy a small roaster and just start roasting away. you will eventually find a "sweet spot" for your roast profile. i prefer a light roast. and take lots of notes. keep a timer with you also when roasting.

Right up my alley being I'm in the Photo industry. thanks makes a lot of sense. People used to ask what courses to take or where to go to school to become a photographer. I'd say business school and take pictures every day.