Following all the rules

jeremy8810

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a post for owners of roasting companies.

I have been running my roasting company for about a year now. I was just trying to get my feet under me and make sure I knew what I was doing, before I really went all out. I have a 10 kilo roaster and I'm projecting to be doing about 800-1000 pounds a month by the end of the year, hopefully. My roastery is clean, I've got multiple sinks, hot and cold water, proper storage bins, commercial lighting and flooring, etc.

My question is, what all government agencies did you guys have to go through to become completely legit in the eyes of Uncle Sam? I'd like to go ahead and get all of this done, so I can start approaching and selling at more of the big name stores around my city.

I've talked to my state department of agriculture, and they had no clue what to make me go through. The local health department says they have nothing to do with me.

I know that I will have to do something with the USDA, but how stringent and difficult is it to pass their standards? Also, do we, as roasters, have to do much for the 2002 FDA Bioterrorism Act?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You will prolly need a food processing license from the state. In Iowa, it's called the Dpt of Inspections and Appeals. They are the folks who inspect restaurant cleanliness. Your city manager should be able to steer you in the right direction. You will also need a fire inspection. This all needs to be done before opening for business. Our wholesale accounts all asked for proof of proper licensing before buying any beans from us.

Good luck.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Think of coffee roasting as food service industry.
So you need typically regulated under restaurant inspection.

I would talk to your city inspector. They should have some type of information or let them know what type of operation you are doing and they will direct you to the right person.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
In my town in central CA, you have to meet the requirements of our municipal code that are under "food manufacturing". That means the location has to be zoned light commercial, you have to follow the guidelines from the county health dept. in regards to the build out and practices, and then meet the basic licensing requirements of the city and state. And fire inspections. The city planning commissioner was all to happy to let me in on the hoops that must be jumped through. Or maybe you could check with the chamber of commerce. For me, it was most helpful to go to the city hall first.

jeremy8810

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... This is what I expected. Everyone has a different story. I've talked to the health department, and they said they don't regulate what I do. I talked to the coordinator for regulatory services from the agricultural department of my state, and he didn't really know how to classify me, so every time I talked to him, he was asking me to do something different.

I don't want to start randomly calling around to different departments, because knowing our lovely government, everyone is going to want to regulate it, when they have no clue what they are doing. I guess I'll try to reconnect with agriculture guy. Hopefully someone else that knows what they are doing has taken his place.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am inspected by the department of agriculture. I have never been inspected by the health department. When I first opened I had to be inspected by the fire marshal but have never seen him since. I have been open almost 4 years and have been inspected by the dept of ag each year. The thing that sucks when you are first one on the block...no one wants to sign off on you..let us know how you get on.

I'm interested to see how this goes. So far the health department has said I fall under the cottage food law for my state (think cake lady who makes wedding cakes at home). The air quality board said they don't care unless I'm bothering someone. I haven't gotten everything squared away but I assume all I need now is a business license. Note: I am roasting in my garage using an SF6.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested to see how this goes. So far the health department has said I fall under the cottage food law for my state (think cake lady who makes wedding cakes at home). The air quality board said they don't care unless I'm bothering someone. I haven't gotten everything squared away but I assume all I need now is a business license. Note: I am roasting in my garage using an SF6.

I'm guessing you fall under the cottage food law until your sales reach a specific limit, then you get kicked off that program.