Who is selling their roasted coffee

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Wondering who is marketing their coffee what the avenues they have used to grow the business

the leap from hobbyist to professional is often attempted but rarely successful

Thanks

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I would have to disagree with your view of it being "rarely successful." I have personally seen quite a few success stories over the years.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It really depends on how to measure the success. If we are talking about making living and being happy, I have seen many but if you are looking this as business venture, I have seen only one person after all these years.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
After being on this Forum for so many years, I've been under the impression that most professional roasters took the leap from roasting as a hobby to branching out as a professional roaster. Isn't that how most people learn how to roast coffee?

Lot's of people who roast as a hobby stay small and never reach a professional status. But, then there are plenty of others who develop a passion for roasting. They eventually quit their day jobs, and buy bigger roasters, find bigger facilities, and create their own business.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Well... this could be very possible as long as the person has the passion, persistence and desire to make it. I have been in forums only for a week or so. but on third day, Watventu (really enthusiastic hobbyist roaster) contacted me and he wanted to know more about farm/factory/roasting/cupping from the exporter point of view. So we got to talking and he is coming with me to Guatemala this Sunday for two weeks. He wants to see, experience and learn the origin of coffee / how it gets processed / milled / packed / cupped and so forth. In a way, it is a perfect experience for him because I will be visiting COE 2014 Guatemala in Anacafe (from May 12 to 16 is international selection week and actual auction will be held by ACE on July 2) coming Tuesday with Watventu.

Hopefully Watventu will update you on his experience in this forum while we are traveling for two weeks.

I believe that nobody becomes a professional from the beginning. it starts from small interests and gets bigger and bigger as passion grows. However, the most important thing is that persistence, hard work and determination will get you to the places where you really want to go and to be. (it sounds like Motivational speech, but absolutely true.)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have been in forums only for a week or so. but on third day, Watventu (really enthusiastic hobbyist roaster) contacted me and he wanted to know more about farm/factory/roasting/cupping from the exporter point of view.

So we got to talking and he is coming with me to Guatemala this Sunday for two weeks. He wants to see, experience and learn the origin of coffee / how it gets processed / milled / packed / cupped and so forth. In a way, it is a perfect experience for him because I will be visiting COE 2014 Guatemala in Anacafe (from May 12 to 16 is international selection week and actual auction will be held by ACE on July 2) coming Tuesday with Watventu.

Hopefully Watventu will update you on his experience in this forum while we are traveling for two weeks.

Wow! That is fantastic! I hope you'll both keep us updated!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow! That is fantastic! I hope you'll both keep us updated!

hey P.Rose. let me and watventu know exactly what you guys (forum memebers) normally are interested. Again, I am very new to this forums (actually I have never participated in any kind of forums in my life. this is first), and since you are "7 beaned member", perhaps you can give me some insights what members want to hear.
thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
hey P.Rose. let me and watventu know exactly what you guys (forum members) normally are interested in.

We used to have a very active member on this Forum (Alun_evans) who traveled a lot and he visited coffee growning regions all over the globe. He would post photos, and he'd write about what he did and saw during his travels. Unfortunately, he is a very busy guy now-a-days, and he doesn't visit the Forum much anymore. I miss reading about his travels.

It would be great if you and Watventu could find the time to post some photos and tell us about what you see and do. It would also be nice to hear about what you both found to be the most interesting. (Perhaps the people, the coffee plantations, the processing, the coffee auction, the food, etc.)

By the way, have you noticed that CoffeeJunky has six beans, and he hasn't been here very long? And he knows much more about coffee than I do! The maximum seems to be eight beans, and it looks like the Forum Administrators automatically get eight.

Rose

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It would be great if you and Watventu could find the time to post some photos and tell us about what you see and do. It would also be nice to hear about what you both found to be the most interesting. (Perhaps the people, the coffee plantations, the processing, the coffee auction, the food, etc.)Rose

Okay. Watventu told me that he is planning to take good camera to take a lot of photos. I will discuss with him and we will try to post photos and articles of interests. thanks for good input, PR.

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Did not intend to offend with my "rarely successful" statement. But I have seen it in other hobbies where going Pro takes the passion out of it.

I Just wondering if there where many people that, as hobbyists, sell at farmers markets or online as a transition to making a living at roasting.
Or if anyone has tried and returned to Hobbyist because of issues getting to the next step

Thanks
Jason

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I Just wondering if there where many people that, as hobbyists, sell at farmers markets or online as a transition to making a living at roasting.
Or if anyone has tried and returned to Hobbyist because of issues getting to the next step

We've seen quite a number of people start out roasting coffee for their own enjoyment. Then they branch out to roasting for family and friends (taste testers). If that works out, they'd move on to selling their roasted coffee at Farmer's Markets and on-line.

I recall a few members of this Forum who tried to branch out to sell at Farmer's Markets, but they eventually gave it up because it's a lot of work. My sense is that those individuals really didn't have the time, money, or passion to turn their hobby into a business. The fun probably wore off, and that was the end of it.

Rose

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I could see roasting 250G at a time that selling would become limiting.
It's that critical time where you make the jump to really investing I guess that could hold back a lot of people

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Jason,

I've been roasting for about 4 years and have recently jumped to a 1lb Dietrich roaster as my demand has continued to grow. My focus has been roasting for fundraising but it has helped me to sell to a few local coffee shops. I would imagine I will be getting to that point that you are describing. Its been a fun adventure to this point and continues to be and I would like to do more but am limited by time and money:) I would love to hear if you decide to move to the next level and how!

Ron

Hello Watventu , Michael, I see you r travelling , xcellant my firend been writing to you n no answer and I don't blame you , I hope you get the same xperience as I did here in Colombia at the family plantation it's a trip to get this opertunity as I have but need to find out if I can take green coffee beans to the states with no problems or what route I need to take to expand our little bz in the US. If Ican get any guidance would b mostly appreciated from the forum experts. THNX and have a great day AND FOR THOSE MOTHERS AND A GREAT MOTHRS DAY.