Giesen Coffee Roasters

RCCCRM

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a small shop and we're looking to buy a new roaster. Giesen has come up and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these roasters.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I don't know much about them... but they did produce Probat roasters at one point. Probat certainly seems to have a name for being quality equipment. Corvus Coffee in Denver is running a 15K roaster... you may want to give them a shout.

konaviewcoffee

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Aloha,

I am a coffee farmer in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. I decided to bring roasting in-house and built a roast shack to house the Giesen W6 that I received in April of this year.

I did a fair amount of research before the purchase. Previously I had hands on roasting experience on a Diedrich 2.5 kilo as well as a Loring 35 Kilo. I have had coffee roasted by others here on a Probat, a larger Diedrich model as well as locally made air roasters.

We are very happy with the Giesen. It outperforms all of our expectations. I visited Willem Boot’s operation in California to see the roaster in operation before I bought it.

The Giesen seemingly has a very different roast environment than other roasters. We are able to get quite a lot more out of our coffee as a result.

With the Giesen you can roast with percent of gas as most all other roasters do. You can also roast with an air temperature set point. This feature is like a thermostat - it varies the heat to the drum depending on the charge amount of beans and attempts to get the air temperature up to that point. We bought the computer controlled roast system that Giesen offers.

As a simple data logger it is missing many bells and whistles. But it does have a graphical interface showing the air temperature, the bean temperature and the air set point temperature - and you can control the roaster from the computer as well as the control tower that comes with the unit. Using the set air temperature you can very accurately control the addition of heat throughout the roast. Unlike percent of gas, where you load a large amount of thermal energy at the start of the roast and wait for the beans to use that up - you add heat as necessary. You can lengthen or shorten any roast segment as you see fit.

We love the roaster and have about 70 roasts on it. There is a learning curve - like with any roaster - but the result in the cup is beyond anything we have experienced so far. The build quality is truly beyond any piece of equipment that I have ever bought - including some German made cars!

Last edited by a moderator: