A question

Skwalx

Jun 9, 2014
Costa Rica
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have a query. Today I was roasting coffee and it took me about 30 minutes in a batch. It normally takes 15 minutes. Anyone here can give me an opinion or some advice on what to do?

Thank you very much. Pura vida. :-D

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hello Pura vide Skwalx.
we need hell lot more information from you in order to give you educated opinions or advice.
what roaster do you have?
when you took 15 min, how much of bean did you put in? what type of beans? some beans takes longer to roast (high dense beans from higher altitude) than softer beans. what was the temp? what temp did you pre-heat? and when you put the beans in, how much of temp came down? and how long it took to go back up to ideal temp?

now for 30 min, what were the changes compared to 15 min roasting?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
How clean is your roaster? Maybe your exhaust system is plugged? Otherwise with good airflow and the same heat you shouldn't experience such a drastic difference in roast times. How about your burners, are they clogged? Or has the gas flow been lowered?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have found the answer to my question. Thank you all for your time.

Skwalx,

In some earlier posts, you mentioned that you were looking for a manual for your Diedrich IR-2.5. Did you ever find the manual? Did it help you find the answer to your question and help you figure out why it was taking longer to roast the coffee?

Rose