Regarding airflow on a Probat L12

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I have been roasting on my Probat L12 and I am having trouble figuring out how to use to airflow on this machine, if it is at all possible. I am having trouble pulling out the high notes and resulting in duller coffee. If anyone can help that would be splendid.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I ran a probat 10 years ago or so...it was wee bit bigger though. Airflow adjustment was at the back of the machine...hated that. Had to run to the back to adjust then run to the front to view the trier. What are you trying to figure out airflow wise...when to adjust, how to adjust...where are you located?

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I ran a probat 10 years ago or so...it was wee bit bigger though. Airflow adjustment was at the back of the machine...hated that. Had to run to the back to adjust then run to the front to view the trier. What are you trying to figure out airflow wise...when to adjust, how to adjust...where are you located?

Mostly how to adjust, on the L12 I can't really figure it out, there is an airflow actuator to cool the beans when they are dropped into the cooling tray, but if open that during the roast I get smoke coming out of the hopper and through the trier hole if I pull out the trier. I assume that this is what I am looking for. Do I maybe have a blockage somewhere?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I think what you're referring to is a damper that directs the exhaust fan where to draw from; when it draws from the cooling tray the airflow through the drum is very minimal. Try leaving it at 80% during cooling, and then during the roast you can set it anywhere you want.

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think what you're referring to is a damper that directs the exhaust fan where to draw from; when it draws from the cooling tray the airflow through the drum is very minimal. Try leaving it at 80% during cooling, and then during the roast you can set it anywhere you want.

I have that on full 100% when cooling, my problem is during the roast when I am getting the smoke coming out of the hopper and through the trier hole. As far as having the damper on during cooling, is there any reason to have it at 80%? How fast should the coffee be cooled? Mine usually takes about 13 minutes.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Whoa...13 minutes to cool? There send to be something wrong then. We could.go back and forth trying to help.You here in the forum but might be quicker and easier over the phone. If you want pm me your phone number and a good time to.reach you. I can try and help you out.
Christopher

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Whoa...13 minutes to cool? There send to be something wrong then. We could.go back and forth trying to help.You here in the forum but might be quicker and easier over the phone. If you want pm me your phone number and a good time to.reach you. I can try and help you out.
Christopher

I am running a batch in a few minutes I will post my results once its done cooling. I will time the roast and the cool down to see exactly how long it is.

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I really want to figure this out so everything can start tasting better.

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I am done with the roast. I roasted a Costa Rica Tarrazu, the total roast time was 13:08, and the time for it to cool down in the tray took 15:23. This was pulled near the end of first crack. I was also running at capacity of the roaster.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm not all that familiar w/ Probat... I got up close and personal w/ a 25 kilo Probat built in '56 last week, but that's it for my exposure to them... But I know for a fact it shouldn't take even a third that long to cool down. Have you peeked inside the air channels and/or the exhaust blower?

I wouldn't assume my experience w/ my Ambex should carry over, but I was able to fashion some ducting and added a second blower dedicated to cooling. Perhaps that will be an option for you.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Okay so I am done with the roast. I roasted a Costa Rica Tarrazu, the total roast time was 13:08, and the time for it to cool down in the tray took 15:23. This was pulled near the end of first crack. I was also running at capacity of the roaster.

Almost sounds like the fan has no power. Is there a lot o chaff in the cooling bin when you dump?

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
@Redswing there isn't really any chaff in the cooling tray, it all goes below into the chaff tank (I think thats the name).

@topher I believe the roaster was built in 94. I have been roasting for about a year and a half, and I roast every weekday. About 7 to 10 roasts a day.

snacksize

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I clean every friday, and vacuum out all the chaff every morning. I would like to shoot you a dm later this week closer to the end of the week so I have time and no distractions during our conversation. If that is okay with you?