Climate Change Roasting -- Help Please

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Roasting here in Ireland is usually done in high humidity and low heat (ie It is usually cold and wet here). So now we're into summer, where it is often cold and wet, but the other day we caught a glorious day with low humidity --55 -- and high heat 22C (72F).So The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress cranked out 20kg of Colombian, which turned out well. And 40kg of Sumatra Lintong, which also turned out well. And 70kg of Ethiopian Sidamo which jumped right past the floral and right past the citrius, and went straight to chocolate. In fact it is a fantastic cup of coffee, if you want cholcolate. But we also want the florals and citrius. So what should we have done? Turned our burner heat down? More air flow? Less airflow? Something else . . . ?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I generally treat the Ethiopians the same. I do find that the Sidamo coffee has been far less fruity and floral as the Yirg. and Harrar.
That said, I expect more chocolate with the Sidamo. Did you drop at first signs of 2nd crack. Few pops and I will drop, if I expect a little fruit and
floral boquette. For me batch size will dictate my manipulating gas throttling or airflow dampening. But I always try to get 3min. past 1st crack.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
We never go to second crack with our Sids. Some we drop during first crack and let the beans coast in the tray. Some we drop after first crack. Some we drop close to second crack but we try and never hear the second crack, in the roaster or cooling tray.