Filter for coffee roaster

Scott365

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to find information or resources on a filter for my coffee roaster. It's a small Primo roaster and I'm looking at possibly getting an electrostatic filter for it.
It's important that I keep my neighbors happy, so the less smoke (and smell), the better.
Can anyone share ideas on this type of a filter system, for instance, how efficient are they, what size I might need and where I might locate one?
It's my understanding that a standard electrostatic furnace filter won't work. Has anyone experienced this?
Any input would be appreciated.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
How much money do you have? I have seen and read about water cyclone filters as well as oxidizers that will eliminate odor and smoke. Seems smoke is ran through a cyclone that filters it with water.

Cyclone Separator
A cyclone separator is used to separate particulates, such as chaff, from roaster exhaust. The exhaust from cyclone separator is typically passed through a thermal oxidizer (incinerator) to burn the smoke. Roasters equipped with both a cyclone separator and thermal oxidizer emit a clean, smoke and particle free, exhaust.

Also you can by The Avirnaki. See link below:

Avirnaki | COFFEE-TECH ENGINEERING

but I think it runs about $8000

Last edited:

Scott365

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
wwcove
Thanks for the reply. 8k is more than I can pay. I don't roast enough to warrant the cost. I'm hoping I can find something under 3k.

Scott365

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
wwcove
I've found a couple of possibilities.
Air Quality Engineering has a couple of options that might work.
The Mistbuster 500 and the Mistbuster 850. They are used on CNC machines.
My guess is that they can be adapted for use on a coffee roaster.