Can I adequately roast my beans?

zwell0890

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I purchased coffee beans on ebay that looked quality, BUT the listing was a bit misleading and I purchased UNROASTED beans. I am curious if I am capable of roasting them with what I have, as I purchased these beans to treat myself. I only make $900 a month, currently, and don't have excess funds to splurge on an expensive device.

Here is what I have
Grill
Charcoal
Lighter
Stove/oven
Pots
Pans
Cookie sheets
Spoons, spatulas, etc.

What I don't have
Popcorn popper
Heat gun
(I saw these items being used on youtube instructional videos)

I know the word "adequate" is vague. I guess what I am trying to say is, can I do these beans justice with what I have?

Again, not a lot of free money to invest.

Thanks all!

Horeb

Jul 19, 2014
Hodgenville, KY
Visit site
I paid under $3 for my popcorn popper (Figuring it was going to just catch on fire and blow up on my 1st batch). It didn't :)

Having said that, you can pan roast providing you have decent ventilation over the stove/oven.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
The first few weeks of my roasting were done on a cookie sheet in the oven. That's a bad way to roast, as one part of the bean is always in contact w/ the cookie sheet - no agitation, and it was better than what I was buying. The point is, you can't use the beans as they are, so don't be afraid of making them undrinkable. Just do it.