Opportunity On An Ambex YM-10

jmcqueen

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
In my continuing search for a roaster, I have happened upon a used (5 years old) Ambex YM-10 in good condition. It has been taken good care of, and cleaned regularly. Aside from some surface scratches and dings, it is in otherwise excellent operational condition. It was replaced by a bigger unit and the coffee house just has this one off to the side. What is this one worth, and is this a good brand name roaster?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
What year is it? Does it have an internal or external chaff collector? Lastly how much are they asking? I have a 60 kilo Ambex and love it. I spoke to Amir from Ambex earlier this week. I told him that people were having an issue reaching him. He said that the number on the website was wrong and has now changed it to his cell...he answers all calls and returns all messages. Solid machines, easy to work on, parts easy to get. If you have any other questions let me know.

jmcqueen

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
topher / coffee, thanks for the replies. it is a 2008 model with external chaff collector. gentleman is asking me to make an offer. the unit was working just fine when replaced.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
sigh..make me an offer. I really hate hearing that. You offer too less and you offend them or you over price it and you see them start jumping for joy. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I would take the cost of a new one and cut it in half and then maybe a little more for the cosmetics. Its a starting point.
JMO

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
The asking prices on "used" YM2's -10's are all place. It boggles me.
Having said that, and being no help to answering your question.
I will give MHO.

As a heavy duty bare bones machine(although external chaff collector a plus),
wish I had one! I would say the machine would be a good deal at $10,000.
If you could get it for $8-9k, very good deal. Under that, great deal!
Hope that helps.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
thanks jumpinjakjava. topher, thoughts? also, any thoughts on this brand of machine?

This will sound queer, but it seems odd that you are thinking of putting a 10 kilo machine into service, but don't know whether or not Ambex is a good roaster or not. Something there doesn't compute. But then, it doesn't need to compute in my brain either. Just sayin'... if you've got a plan, more power to ya.

jmcqueen

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
peter, initially i was not planning with going with a 10 kg (too big?!), but if the price is right and the hardware/brand is good, then this may be the "opportunity" that i was hoping would come along. i have incessantly read on most of the top brands this past week, but have crossed several off my first-roaster list due to the lack of value to price. i know that ambex is a quality machine, but i cannot afford to make any mistakes on this choice. i want to make sure i "nail it" out of the blocks, such that if i stayed small (<100 lbs per week) i wouldn't have any regrets. what i am finding (from online reports) is that there is wide divergence on build quality. i now know that ambex is quality built, serviceable, and produces good/great results assuming the proper dedication to the learning curve that would be required. just considering the volume of subjective info out there, it makes this decision difficult. is anyone aware of any in-depth objective comparative studies on, say, the top 10 commercial roasters... kind of like a consumer reports?

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I would be interested in knowing what the discriminators are between roasters. Why is this Ambex better than that Toper of the same size and accessories? Not to hijack your thread.