Kaldi home roaster

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hey Christopher,
interesting unit. so checked out the youtube. those guys who demonstrating are Koreans and the machine is made in Korea (which is much better quality than made in China or other nearby countries). also, it is kind of funny that they are using Korean version of stove top burner which I have at home to BBQ Korean meats. It seems like that works well.

Strange though.
Amazon sells two versions $560 (4.1kgs) & $450 (2.8kgs) and sold by Rehobotkorea who has many other different products, but ONLY SOLD 1 ITEM EVER! . Probably we should not take the chance. And probably we have to pay for shipping. and ship from Korea.

Ebay sells at $235 (2.8 kg version) , but ship from Korea (free shipping to USA), but it got to be somewhat big size, so freight got to be $100 range or more which sellers pays. also, I am not so sure about customs import duty fee on this model. This seller also sells gazillion different stuff, but sold a lot with decent rating. maybe more reliable?

it seems like just small tiny version of regular big roaster. VERY INTERESTING HOW IT REALLY ROAST!!!!.....

Christopher, I am also looking into buying one for my house. I had Joper (I got it from Portugal), but i took it to my company in Guatemala to be used in our other school location for cupping practice. And I am just using popcorn popper!!!! believe it or not. so I need one. I found.. Hario Glass RCR-50 Non electric roaster at $250 at Amazon. Is this pretty good? very simple, but it is Hario!

Since you are in roasting business for so many years, you might be the perfect person to ask. (I am not trying to hi-jack your thread :+), but it just came up while I am writing about Kaldi.

thanks christopher.
PS: I just could not find Kaldi roaster company website AT ALL. very strange..... normally, they must have one..... unless.. it is pirated products which means Korean people imports parts and materials (SKD, it means Semi Knock Down products for re-assembly purpose) from China, Vietnam..etc and just assemble and put Made in Korea name and sell it side ways or under-ground.

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I saw the Hario Glas rcr-50...didn't do much for me. .i am going to look deeper into it and let you know what I find.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
hey peter, if you were me, which one is decent for my wife and I to use at home?
nothing complicated.. thanks

I haven't looked very closely, but it would depend on the capacity you need, and how often you want to roast. I for one, would not want the manual model; cranking for 15min., let alone for multiple batches, would get old real fast.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I will let you know how it works in a few weeks...just ordered the one with a motor. Have to build a cooling bin. I hate running around with a colander trying to cool coffee. I have an idea on what I am going to build..will test it then post a pic if it works.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Yes it works like a charm..cools coffee in under a minute. I love this little toy!! I do wish I had a propane burner in my roastery that I could use instead of the butane..but since I only roast about 10 batches a month on it...it's not that big of a deal.

Beegle

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
That's awesome to hear. I went ahead and ordered the motorized myself and just got it this weekend. I'd live details and photos on your cooling system. Using a colander does get old fast. I haven't got to use the unit yet but I will be in the next couple if days. It sure is nice looking.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I made a "cooling tray" I used an orange bucket from home depot, a metal bowl, and a shop vac. I drilled holes in the small metal container and then cut a hole in the top to drop it in. I also cut a hole in the side to shove the shop vac hose in. It works awesome..looks a bit ghetto but I can cool it really quickly!

Latest posts