Help setting up gas Toper Cafemino

teacherjen

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I got the best birthday present this year, my first coffee roaster! We are trying to set it up but I can't figure out if the previous owner had it set up to run on propane or natural gas. I've researched the honeywell regulator model only to discover that it can be used with either. I was hoping someone here recognized the set up and could help or point me in the right direction. Or I may need to take it to a gas/fuel serviceman.
regulator.JPG
Top of picture is where it connects to roaster and bottom right corner is incoming gas line connection. The pressure gauge (yellow) is in mbar and measures 0-100. Hopefully, someone on here is familiar and can help.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
My guess (I repeat, guess) would be that because there's a compression fitting on the end of the gas line connection, it's looking for a permanent NG gas line, and that if it was set up for propane the hose coming from the tank would already be threaded onto the valve of the roaster.

I think the only way you'll really know is to hook up a propane tank to it and see where that gauge reads. I think gas will read about half of what propane reads. My propane tank when full registers 12.

Hope that helps a little.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Why not call the place you purchased it from and ask? The gauge will not tell if the roaster is set up for NG or propane. It will only show the water column. There a two different spring kits for the honeywell and a different orifice for the igniter. each is totally different for the type of gas. Do not light that roaster up until you are 100% sure. JMO that is a propane connection. Almost looks like they used a one pound canister by the way it is configured/ A NG would have a 1/2" NPT pipe fitting.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Please find out before you fire up the machine. There is a danger factor involved.
Chast is right. Except, I do not remember changing the the igniter(been a while).
My Ambex was set up for NG when I bought it, but I converted it to propane. Also had to change
the 32 brass nozzles on the cast iron burner. Found out through Ambex that the orifices in the nozzles are different sizes.
Propane orifices are a little smaller. Most likely the Toper burner is different than the Ambex, so you may not need to change them out,
but make sure. I was able to purchase the Honeywell kit and nozzles from Ambex at the time.
As suggested by Chast. Make the call.

You could try contacting this seller of Toper roasters on Ebay.
Visit our sales office and showroom to roast with us! We offer training on all Toper equipment. Call 1-949-350-9987 or write to: [email protected]

teacherjen

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input peterjschmidt & Charlie. The roaster was purchased off eBay thru a consignment site. Contacting the seller wouldn't help, unfortunately :sad:. The original owner may not have even been in the US as the electrical cord was not our 3-prong 220v style. Also, the inlet line is 3/4". Maybe I need to take off the regulator and examine it closely. I need some coffee before I can start reading about pressure and water column values :images: Thanks again!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
are the motors 50 or 60Hz? if they are not 60 Hz you will need a converter. They might accept both but make sure. Forgot to mention the burner orifice is different also, Thanks to Jumpin Jack for bringing it up. The Honeywell valve will automatically switch Hz and also make sure you have a ground. Depending on where it came from will depend on the electrical requirements for here.
Good Luck

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Just a thought...why not just make the changes to fit your gas requirements? That way the orifices are new and not clogged and you know exactly what you have in the way of gas. The Honeywell kit is between 15 and 20.00 depending on who you buy it from and the model. The burner would be an issue unless you contact a Toper Dist. Even that should be under 20 bucks

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Just a thought...why not just make the changes to fit your gas requirements? That way the orifices are new and not clogged and you know exactly what you have in the way of gas. The Honeywell kit is between 15 and 20.00 depending on who you buy it from and the model. The burner would be an issue unless you contact a Toper Dist. Even that should be under 20 bucks

That's probably the best advice. It won't matter what it is now, because you'll make it what you need it to be.

But I have read of people switching over and not getting the orifice correct, and the only thing that happened was that the flames were too small or too large for normal roasting, but never heard of it being dangerous.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Depends on if you drill your own, which is what I did, you can fine tune your flame. Depending on the size of this roaster and burner type would depend on the variable of the orifice. No mention of kg size that I am aware of.

Latest posts