Massachusetts Roaster Regulations

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Here I am days from opening my new shop and the plumbing inspector shows up to give me my final permit. First words out of his mouth are" I never seen one and no nothing about a coffee bean roaster" heard it before when I first installed MY US Roaster in my previous location in 2008. I was then told if the roaster manufacturer is not listed on MA.Gov approved gas fired appliances then he could not give me my permit. I flipped out!! How many roasters in this state and when I checked only the Probat L12 and Probatino are listed and I know of at least 6 that are much larger. I was told the manufacturer has to file the paperwork and pay the fee ( another BS tax as far as I am concerned ) and then it has to be approved or I apply for a varience. Either way I am looking at two months. Ambex, Deidrich, and Coffee Per are not listed. Called another plumbing inspector in a nearby town that has 3 roasters that I am aware of. None of the brands and models are listed. Talk about hitting a brick wall!! I could see if the roaster was a Bah Fung Goo model from China, but this is a UL approved, made here quality piece of machinery.
I called US Roaster and Dan has offered to get the paperwork done so I can move on, just waiting for the Boston BS'ers to get the paperwork to get the ball rolling. Was suppose to hear that today but nothing yet!
Anybody have the same or similar issues in other states? So if you want open a roastery in this state better make sure the roaster is listed or gets listed unless you have a decent inspector.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I called US Roaster and Dan has offered to get the paperwork done so I can move on, just waiting for the Boston BS'ers to get the paperwork to get the ball rolling. Was suppose to hear that today but nothing yet!

Geez.... I'm sorry you hit the brick wall, especially just days before opening.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Now other peopple will know what to look out for when they try to open up a roastery in Massachusetts.

It sounds like Dan from US Roaster is one of the good guys. I hope he can help straighten things out for you, and you'll be up and running soon.

Rose

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Ya but you are in FL not MA and all you are doing is moving your roaster to a different location. Kind of what I actually did. Boston would not let Probat light up one of their roasters at the SCAA show last year because of some German made gas parts!!! I will probably say screw them and light it up anyway!! but keeping it quiet until the paperwork gets resolved.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Did they stop them just because they were German made parts? If so how wacked is that. If anything being German made should ADD confidence to the machined part, not take it away! This country is getting insane with taxes and regulations. Very sad, very said indeed.

Len

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I have two people in the state house trying to get this resolved asap. sent an email to the person in charge of the paperwork, I received a notice that it was read about five minutes after it was sent. No reply whatsoever!! tried calling her direct number, would not answer!!. As I understood it was some parts to the burner that the city/state new nothing about and of course ignorance means its just easier to say no!! I don't think you will ever see another SCAA show in MA seeing as how Probat puts a lot behind them!!
This is what has to show in order to be approved.
Accepted Plumbing Products Online System by Massachusetts Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
You may want to talk to other regional/local roasters to see how they dealt with this issue. I know when I was looking at a location in Kansas (KC suburb) they were going to require me to have an afterburner on a 5K unit. The person I was speaking with simply didn't understand coffee roasting nor the fact there were others in the same city operating larger units without afterburners. Basically I had to plead them to look into how others got permits without the afterburners installed.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Finally someone woke up in Boston and called. Easiest way is to apply for a variance. Beside hiring an engineer and a check to the state for 85.00 it is quicker than waiting for the manufacturer to do it. Should be firing it up next week. It is still a process but it will allow me to roast while the machine is being inspected. The board member was very informative and walked me through the process to simply things and to get me up and running quickly!! Will have to send him a pound or two of coffee!! Until I get that letter, which I should have in hand by next Friday, I cannot advertise an opening date!! I have coffee arriving from a world famous roaster who took it upon himself to send me up some to help get the doors open until the roaster BS is solved. His coffee is outstanding!!!!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
" I go tit"??? ( gotta hate the space button when it does not work) Not all worked out yet.....just got the ball rolling!!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Sorry Charlie they have you jumping through hoops to open a business to help stimulate the economy.
Imagine that you're UL approved roaster is not on their list! When I hear these things it makes me boil.
Or is it roast. Do not get me wrong, I believe in regulations, but are you kidding me. I speak from experience
after 35 years in the refuse industry. I have abandoned all hope for any reform in the government and politics of this country
and world. I need no one to instill hope in me, I have it outside of this system. Sorry forum friends for venting, I know it is a coffee
forum. I do hope it works out for you Charlie.