Help roasting Guatemala Huehuetenango

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I'm buying my first lot of Guatemala coffee. The origin is La Providencia Estate, San Pedro Necta, Huehuetenango. The estate varies between 1,400 to 1,800 meters above sea level. It is washed and sun dried. Here's the blurb about the coffee from the broker: This is a truly high grown coffee and with the mill situated near the top of the farm, cool temps mean slow fermentation and a winey acidity in the cup. The usual Huehue floral fruitiness is there along with a heavy hint of cherry and a long cocoa finish. Classic cup, sweet but well balanced, fruit notes and cherry flavours, mild hazelnut with milk chocolate aftertaste.

We've got a good idea on how we want to roast this but since we've never dipped our toe into the Guat pool what do you long time Guat roasters suggest?

By the way, we'll be selling it single origin, in a Kenya/Guat blend, and in a 5-bean blend.

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I always liked HueHuetenango coffee. If you have a sample roaster,or if not, the smallest batch size that has shown consistently good roasts with your larger roaster. start with a City+ roast, the characteristics already stated(most likely cupped by a Q grader)will be first found there. Then I would roast a Full City, and Full City+. If you intend to use it for French Roast, then add that batch. I would cup them beside each other. Since you stated, "We've got a good idea on how we want to roast",you may be able to eliminate one of these batches. I personally like Full City to + for this Guat. I would not recommend dark to French, even though it is a SHB and will take the duration and heat.I have not personally roasted Guat. HueHue for a few years. I do not know how the past few or current crops have been. I got spoiled with the 2005 crop year. The coffee was awesome. I currently have some Antigua, Puerte Verde. Similar to the HueHue, more chocolate than fruitiness. I do believe you will like this coffee. IMHO, single origin is the way to go, unless you are blending for espresso. It really needs no help.
Enjoy!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Good Guats are dense, hard beans. I think it takes a bit higher roasting temp to bring out their best characteristics. I hurry the beans a bit and finish in between 14 and 15 minutes for a medium roast. (Start of second crack, maybe?)

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For a Guatemala I'd aim for first crack at 10:00 and finish at 12:00 just after first crack stops popping. That's the sweet spot for my tastes.