Roaster Recommendations for approx. 100lb/month

CottageRoaster

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
We are looking for a propane roaster that can handle approx. 100 lbs of beans (a very rough estimate) per month. Have been using a Behmor (mostly personal use, plus brewed coffee for a small farmers market -- average of 2 to 3 lbs/wk)) for 5+ years -- love it. We now are planning to open a small retail location. We plan to roast just one variety of coffee, to offer as a complement to the baked goods in our bakery. Want to offer good, freshly roasted coffee... but don't want to become "coffee geeks" (being "bread geeks" is already time-consuming enough!) Any input/suggestions appreciated... Thanks!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
US Roaster has a 1 lb sample roaster that works great! Roaster Dynamics in FL has a great roaster that will fit your needs.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
To continue to be the "bread geeks" you desire. Why not get some samples of coffee from local roasters, choose your preferences, and
purchase fresh roasted coffee? You would also have the advantage of providing more than one origin. Just another thought.

CottageRoaster

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I would think it would take you a long time to pay for a roaster selling only 100lb per month. Why not just buy roasted coffee?

Most of our coffee sales will be brewed coffee... we would need to roast about 1 to 1.5 lbs of coffee per day to sell 30 cups of coffee daily. At $1.75 per coffee, in a month we should sell over $1000 in brewed coffee. Thirty pounds of green beans will cost us about $200. I didn't think the math sounded too bad...?! We do expect to sell some as ground and/or whole bean as well, but the markup isn't nearly as good. Why not just buy roasted? We live wa-aay out in the boonies in New Brunswick, Canada (albeit in a touristy town) -- good roasted coffee isn't exactly easy to come by 'round here! And what's available is really expensive.

CottageRoaster

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
For years, I roasted w/ two SC/TO's, producing ~4#/hr. and sold 75#/mo.

I've used an Ambex YM-2K for a few years, roasting 12#/hr. It's a slightly better product, and saves time.
Thank you, peterjschmidt. Don't know what the SC/TO is, but will look into the Ambex for sure. Did you purchase directly from the manufacturer? Their website appears to be under construction... will have to research a bit.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Believe it or not Ambex advertises on Ebay. Paul Ribich of Roaster Dynamics designed the profiling system and still does repairs and upgrades. His first roaster was at the SCAA 2014 show in Boston. Impressive unit he has a website that has a picture of it and it is on You Tube, USRC has their sample roaster video on another site: Smokeless Coffee Roaster - Green Friendly Revelation Roaster Shows the roaster in action

CottageRoaster

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
SC/TO = code talk for "Stir Crazy Turbo Oven".
Wow, upwards of $7 a lb green. Have you looked into other sources for green coffee? Where are you getting it from?
We are in Canada -- have been ordering from Greenbeanery. (I included price of shipping in my calculation)>