Converting single phase to 3 phase

sunfish

Jun 17, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
Hi,
I have an roaster that runs on 3 phase electric (415V/10 A). Due to some constraints, I could only get single phase 230 V. I am thinking to try using some kind of phase converter to convert single phase to 3 phase. But I am not sure if it would work or any danger of doing this. Has anyone tried something like this before ?

Any suggestions how can I do this ?

tkx

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Big Bucks!! You can purchase a converter but they are expensive and you need an electrician that is familiar with them. we had a printing company in the same building who used one for one of his presses. I believe Grainger sells them and maybe McMaster Carr. They do not provide a smooth current.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Depending on the model there is most likey some internal parts such as fuse links that would support 3p and not single phase/220/110 but it would still be cheaper than buying a converter to change it over.
Just noticed you have a 415/460?? it would be cheaper to rebuild the roaster to conform to single phase. The converter and wiring would be over the top price wise. What brand of roaster? Can you get a copy of the schematic? The manufacturer, if local, might be able to sell you the conversion parts needed.

Last edited:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Going from 3 phase to single phase should be as simple as capping L3. If you are going to drop a single phase motor in you need to match the rotation speed (RPM) and horsepower of the motor. If the amperage for your single phase motor far exceeds 10 amps you may be required to rewire your roaster with heavier gauge wire for L1 and L2 to the motor. You'll also need to make sure any switches and relays are heavy enough to support the conversion aka it must handle higher amperage.

If you were going to leave everything alone and install a converter you have 3 options.

Static converters will use electronics to start your 3 phase motor but at a cost of horsepower roughly 1/3rd of it.

Rotary phase Converters use a single phase motor to turn a 3 phase generator producing 3 phase power. So you have to match the converter to the motor. These tend to be a lot more expensive since you're adding a generator to a motor to connect up your motor in your roaster.

Last is a Digital solid state phase converter. These guys are the cream of the crop. You use this type when you have tolerances that have to be met. Of all 3 this is the most expensive type.

Rough estimates
Static = $150+
Rotary = $600+
Digital = $2500+

sunfish

Jun 17, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
Hi guys, thankyou so much for all your suggestions & advice, appreciate it. I think without having to make any modifications the best is still to try find a 3-phase input, after that the next best option would be having a rotary converter ....

cafdud

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Did you check with the power company to drop 3-phase 440, if it's a commercial building should't be to big a deal, but if it's residential, could be expensive. I had a x brother in law that purchased a milling machine that was huge that run 3 phase 440, he spent around $400.00 on a converter, it worked perfectly.