French roast on my Behmor Plus?

CoffeeMac

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone

Just received my new Behmor 1600 Plus. I have tried a couple of roasts on it (Brazil Fazenda) and noticed that on 100g using P3 program C as recommended in the manual it stops at 2 minutes before end of cycle as the beans are barely starting first crack. As a result the coffee is a very very light roast IMHO and I dont like that at all.

Anyone with any suggestions how to trick it into some city+ or dare I say even French or Italian
Maybe i have to be patient and learn the machine step by step:cry:

Many thanks

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I suggest using P1 on the 1# setting to give you a feel for the minimum roast time you can get. I always use the 1# setting for 1/2# of beans and keep it at P1. I can get to any roast profile in ~12 - 14 minutes.

sunfish

Jun 17, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
For Brazilian, I would use P2 with 1/2 lb for 100g. I felt that P1 could be a little too strong in heat application resulting in uneven roast. U can try for yourself. Btw, I am using the older version behmor. Have fun !

CoffeeMac

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Sunfish,

I will try that today. What kind of roast did you end up with? For a Brazilian fazenda washed I'll be looking for a light roast to get the sweetness but not dropped too early. I can already see that when I decide to "drop" and press the cooling button, by default it continues roasting for 30 sec minimum. Btw what advantage does a variable drum speed give me?
I did a batch the other night on P3 C 200gr cooling after 11.50 min great smell but flat taste and no sweetness:coffee1:

Will keep you all posted

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Sunfish,

I will try that today. What kind of roast did you end up with? For a Brazilian fazenda washed I'll be looking for a light roast to get the sweetness but not dropped too early. I can already see that when I decide to "drop" and press the cooling button, by default it continues roasting for 30 sec minimum. Btw what advantage does a variable drum speed give me?
I did a batch the other night on P3 C 200gr cooling after 11.50 min great smell but flat taste and no sweetness:coffee1:

Will keep you all posted

Hi CoffeeMac,

If you have the Behmor 1600 Plus you can extend the time by pressing the "C" button over and over so you can roast as long as you want. I have had my Behmor 1600 for about 1 year now but prior to getting the new Plus pannel a few weeks ago I was unable to predictably roast more than a half LB on anything other than the P1 setting. That said be warned I have played with the manual mode but it is broken and Bob (at Behmor support) is apparently having the same issue I am with it over heating and causing fire/burning which initiates an error and shuts down the machine. However, auto mode is working fine and I can use other profiles now and not run into the issue that you have with it shutting off to early (if I use the "C" button to extend the time, usually just once on 1lb mode). However, roast times of 24 minutes seem a bit long and have some baked flavor to them I think so using P1 still seems to be the best bet. I may play with P2 profile some here but the problem seems to me that the time from 1st C to 2nd C is more than enough as the temperature level raise doesn't appear to be all that fast and at this time I'm not getting any time less that 4 minutes between 1st and 2nd crack on any of the beans I have tried and usually it is more like 5 plus minutes.
If you have any question feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number and I am happy to help you if you like.

Last edited:

CoffeeMac

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi
Just did a batch Brazilian 100Gr on 200 Gr settings P1 A then as soon as it reached red hot went into manual P4 till C1 (about 8mins) then down to P3 for 2;30 min then cooling.

came out city not sure whether + or not amazing aromas like a good Brazilian should.

Thank you for all the contributions